Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

seeing the sites and target-newbe

hardluk1

Hi all ,Just bought a witness match in 40cal yesterday and after getting to know it and cleaning it up i went to the range. My problems start with the fact that i shoot scopes not open sites 80 % of the time so i need to do something different with my glasses to see the sites but still get a good veiw of the target. Anyone here shoot with bi or tri-focals , if so ,no line or regular or what do you do. I use to shoot a revolver alot, 11 years ago but have just retired and now have time to go to a range to shoot. My problem is that i can't focus the sites and have much of any target left to see or see some target and the sites are fuzzy. I am right handed and left eye strong and that has been fine shooting a scoped revolver or my two small guns up close but this a interesting. Even tried the tape on right lens of my glasses to see if that helped some. This is a great pistol when i can aline left to right on a 6" square target and can control side to side to 2" but vertical string'n to 4 or 5 "at 20 yards. SO you shooters with bad eye site help me out. I do shoot a 38 snub and a 32 for carry and can hit fine at 7 to 10 yards but also don't expect great things from them even if the pros do shoot them well. I don't ever expect to be a local match type shooter ,just try'n to get to where i can see well enough to enjoy and not have to work to see the sites well with some target. To long ,i know Thank for any help. Great pistol

I wear no-line bi-focals which are officially tri-focals. However, I do not wear them to shoot. I have glasses that take my dominant eye (unfortunately my left one) and focus that eye on the pistol front sight. The right eye is focused on distance. It calls for the gun being positioned in front of the left eye which does not require much movement. It does take me a few minutes to adjust to the shooting glasses at each match so I switch when I get there. I cannot read any small print after I get the glasses on, but it makes shooting a great deal easier. :surprise:

Ks-shooter You know i never thought about take'n my glasses off for shooting glasses. I can read these threads with out glasses so i will give it a try. My right eye is better with out glasses at distance. Thanks

Yeah, I can read the many items at distance without glasses (large items, not news print) but my problem was seeing (in focus) the front sight (actually front and rear). My optometrist gave me the script for the pistol iron sight shooting glasses. I shoot red dot sights with my regular glasses and I shoot shotguns with glasses that only see distance (one small bi-focal cut on one lens corner). At least when clay targets rise they don't change magnification three times!!!

It takes a bit of getting used to, but it is amazing how fast the eyes can adjust to the change.

Good luck to you! Tom

Ks-shooter You know i never thought about take'n my glasses off for shooting glasses. I can read these threads with out glasses so i will give it a try. My right eye is better with out glasses at distance. Thanks

Yeah, I can read the many items at distance without glasses (large items, not news print) but my problem was seeing (in focus) the front sight (actually front and rear). My optometrist gave me the script for the pistol iron sight shooting glasses. I shoot red dot sights with my regular glasses and I shoot shotguns with glasses that only see distance (one small bi-focal cut on one lens corner). At least when clay targets rise they don't change magnification three times!!!

It takes a bit of getting used to, but it is amazing how fast the eyes can adjust to the change.

Good luck to you! Tom

Went back to the range sunday to shoot and try with just shooting glasses. Better but not great so i ordered a henning taller front site with a red insert and going to try some flouresent paint on top section of rear site and see if that helps. Then and only then i will talk to my eye doc about glasses. Thanks for input. Never did like indoor ranges. To darn dark in them at the shooting line.