Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What do you guys think of this gun?

Plissken

pinman.... sounds like you've had some reliability problems with your ST/SVs. Yes, that would give me pause. So far, my Edge has run like a hose.... with this performance, I have plenty of confidence in it for personal defense... confidence that continues to strengthen with time and use. For a home defense pistol, 19 rounds of 180gr. HST in my Edge, which shoots like it was built by RollsRoyce, is nice to have indeed.

Edited by DHart

Yeah D I had some problems earlier and you could say it needed some "TUNING" ha ha. The SV runs like a sewing machine and always has, the St needed work. My Hk is 16+1 of 40 cal. I just like the simplicity of plastic guns for on the street self defense. I feel the ultimate is a revolver though but you sacrifice capacity. I always thought that if I needed more than 17 rounds, I have a serious problem with my shooting skills and should move out of that area ha ha. I spell home defense PUMP SHOTGUN. I'm glad you have had great results sounds like you have a great pistol there.

Good luck D

Edited by PINMAN44

The thread on AR-15 is hilarious !! I thought our Glock vs. 1911 threads were heated !! :surprise:

I could'nt stand the ignorance and inexpirience with more then one platform for more then 1/2 a page though .. :wacko:

From my expirience, Glocks, M&P's, and XD's are all good tools but we have had extensive threads about major problems

with all of them right out of the box. Look at the recent M&P pro thread, their flagship model, everygun can have a unit

or two, or three, that need some help out of the box. Competition, I belive, puts weapons to the test and what does not

pass, does not stick around for long. Other then full blown war, competion gets them the hottest, the dirtiest, the most

banged up and abused, most rounds without cleanings, dropped mags in mud and put back in if needed to win, etc..

Reliability is king and Glocks, M&P's, and XD's have proven themselfs acceptable reliable platforms for competition but

1911/2011's are still king. Like I said all units from any manufacturer can have problems out of the box and it's usually

only the "problems" you hear about on complaint forums. Most issues are caused by the shooter, weather it's poor ammo

quality or continuos part replacment and upgrading. I've shot thousands of rounds through several of the mentioned guns

and would'nt hesitate to carry any of them. I trust the "individual" gun after I shoot a few thousand throught it, not the make

or model. My STI edge has 20k major PF through it, bone stock out of the box 1500 rounds between cleanings. I can remember all of the 5-10 malfunctions it has had, all with bad ammo. Altough I carry an XD that has 10k through it because it's small and lite ??

Yeah D I had some problems earlier and you could say it needed some "TUNING" ha ha. The SV runs like a sewing machine and always has, the St needed work. My Hk is 16+1 of 40 cal. I just like the simplicity of plastic guns for on the street self defense. I feel the ultimate is a revolver though but you sacrifice capacity. I always thought that if I needed more than 17 rounds, I have a serious problem with my shooting skills and should move out of that area ha ha. I spell home defense PUMP SHOTGUN. I'm glad you have had great results sounds like you have a great pistol there.

Good luck D

Hey pinman.... I'm with ya. That HK sounds like a stone solid defense gun... 17 rounds on tap... NICE! Must be the Combat Competition. Do you love it? I see why you deem that your primary, especially for carry. And I agree... if you can get your hands on a 12 ga., that's the ultimate home defense gun. I keep a Mossberg 590 on my side of the bed and a 500 Persuader on the wife's side, with several pistols close at hand as well!

Much as I love my Edge for home use, when it comes to carry duty, that task is typically given to my G23 (14 rnds). Sometimes to my G19 (16 rnds), G30 (11 rnds), or a Colt Custom Commander bobtail (9 rnds). This is for day to day running around in relatively safe environments.

Otherwise, for walks on the beach, risky downtown areas, trails, doing photography out and about, wherever a seemingly innocuous passerby might be encountered who could stop to ask a question and then suddenly turn violent, I usually carry a S&W 642 or 640 held in the hand in a coat pocket where it can be pointed, ready to shoot, still in the pocket, able to fire right through the coat if necessary. It is the ultimate stealth "instant response" unit for situations where there may be not enough time to reach for, pull out, aim, and fire a holster-carry gun before the threat attacks. There is definitely a need for a variety of weapons depending on the situation.

Edited by DHart

You have the right idea in my mind friend. All of those firearms sound great for those purposes. Most of the firearm's I speak of are my dad's. I don't get one of them til I turn twenty-one this year. :angry2: I don't know if I would ever carry a gun. I personally don't feel threatened, but maybe one day I might. If I had to choose firearms for carry I would have the Hk as my main piece and a Smith two inch eight shot as a back up. Right now those little two inch guns are kind of pricey so my dad and I haven't jumped on it yet. The HK we have was one of the first designs, the predecessor to the combat competition. Tommy Thacker made a real nice HK with Novak's night sites. I can send you some pics of it if you would like. We have Glocks as well but we prefer only the Glock pistols that bear the 9x19 cartridge the 17,17L, 34, etc... The revolvers, and Sti/sv's we keep strictly for competition because we just don't know in an in case shit happens scenario. I know that the HK we have never used to get lubricated or cleaned and it has been put to the test and hopefully continues to keep working. Knock on wood. I have heard about them failing in the past from other people, but when you produce anything mechanical people are going to have a few that don't always turn out 100 percent, it's beenh very rare that I hear about any complaints about HK products. I love your shot gun choices, Mossbergs are sweet. Which one do you prefer? The 590 or the persuader?

Anyways hit me up anytime if you want to talk shop

Peace D

Edited by PINMAN44

I own 2 STi Edge. The first one had minor extractor issues when it was new. I brought it to a gunsmith, he added some tension to the extractor and it never gave me any more problems. About 20,000 rounds later, its still going (knock on wood). Its very reliable and accurate. I was lucky enough to participate in WSXV and it didn't let me down. My second STi Edge ran flawlessly out of the box. This one probably has around 3K to 4K rounds through it and has been just as accurate and reliable as my 1st Edge. :) I wouldn't hesitate to buy another Edge....not that I need another one. :D