Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Advice on which Benelli Shotgun, M1, M2, M4?

cheers623

I have a ? How much would you expect to pay for an used M1. I saw one at a local shop and was wondering what a fair price in this market would be for a used one with 19.25 barrel, it has a fiber optic front bead, vented barel, no box and one choke tube. Seemed to be in pretty good condition. They were asking 649.00 I believe. Worth th cash or keep waiting for an M2?

Thanks,

John

Thats a good price in my opinion. I just paid $650 for one off gunbroker, but had to have the barrel cut down. I sent the whole thing to Benny for the magic!!!

I have a couple of M1's and an M2. I have started using the M2 as the maain gun. It seems to recoil alot less. If you can afford an M2 get it. I lucked out and found a 21" model sitting the safe at a buddy's gun shop. All I have added is a Nordic tube.

I did pick a preban M1 with a pistol grip really cheap last week. It's at Benny's getting the factory tube cutoff and set up for a Nordic tube. The finish is really bad but it does run.

Good luck,

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

I went with a pistol gripped M1 for no other reason than it was basically new (less than 250 rounds) and had already been spiffed up by Rob Melhourn. It was a turn-key package for $1000 and my finicky 1100 was already sold. I have heard that M2's shoot a little softer, but I don't really notice recoil. I can barely tell the difference between 3" mags and AA Lites. :unsure:

I shot a friends M1 and it shot great. I wanted to buy a M1, but they are no longer made. Benelli now sells the M2. You can get the M2 with either the pistol grip or ComfortTech stock. I got the ComfortTech stock and it really helps out with perceived recoil. Comes from factory with 3 round magazine, vented rib barrel with all chokes, and red fiber front sight. Put a Nordic 5 round extension on it and let Benny Hill do his magic on the bolt and you will have one hell of a gun. Note that the M2 will not allow a shadow round to be placed on the carrier/lifter. In my case I can get 9 rounds in the gun, one in chamber, 8 in magazine. After Benny's mod to the bolt, it will allow 1 round in chamber, 1 on carrier/lifter, and 8 in mag for a total of 10.

Another friend of mine has a M1 and has problems shooting low recoil slugs out of it, yet the M1 I discussed earlier ran them fine (I believe after Benny Hill mods). My M2 shoots anything I stick in it. I'd buy another one if I needed it.

BTW...the M4 is a gas gun. The M2 is inertia and makes for a real clean gun.

Go with the M2...well worth the money.