Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

keeping your SG running

bigbrowndog

After having run a SG stage at the FB3G, and seeing all sorts of shotguns used and abused. I noticed that most people seem to neglect their guns, regarding routine and simple care and maintenance.

My observations revealed that Remingtons seemed to be the most popular and most problematic, with maybe one or two exceptions. Every Remington that I saw used on my stage sounded DRY and the action looked DRY. This is not a good way to run an auto shotgun.

Next most problematic was the Saigas and variants, I do not recall a Saiga being run on the stage without a problem, failures to feed, failures to extract, failures to eject, and failures to be familiar with ones equipment, seemed to be the biggest problem, Also lack of lubricant.

Third on the list was the Winchester,FN,and Browning variants they again appeared to be DRY and sounded DRY when the action was worked. Also to me both the Remingtons and these seemed to be extremely heavy, this requires a lot of muscle tension to get it moving, and to stop it from moving.

The Benelli's that I saw choke also appeared to be lacking lubricant, when you can easily watch a Benelli bolt cycle back and forth, something is wrong, it needs OIL particularly on the cam pin where the bolt and carrier are joined. a 50/50 mix of Lithium grease and oil works well in this area. It can also be that your action spring in the buttstock needs replacing or the tube needs cleaning out. I think the main reason people do not care for their Benelli's like they should is due to the minimal maintenance that is required, ......minimal maintenance becomes no maintenance

Pump guns also need OIL, while the vast majority of them all worked, many were lacking the slippery stuff, the difference between running a dry pump gun and a oiled one is LARGE. the action bars and the action all can benefit from the same 50/50 lithium and oil mix.

All in all, some simple maintenance and OIL in your shotgun, especially the gas guns, at the 50 to 100 round interval should make for happier guns.

Trapr

Amen

It was bad enough that he had just DQ'd me (a very legitimate DQ), so I was a little pissed at myself and the situation, and then he started racking my stuff in the dirt. I may have been done at FB3G, but those rounds will be going in my SG in the very near future, BUT...I may have said things a little harsher than needed, so that is why I apologized. Oh well, maybe that fine FB sand will help polish my chamber a little!

The best thing I have gotten out of shooting the past 16 years is, = The Friends that I learn from, when they forgive me for the things I say. I owe so much to so many that are quick to forgive.

Jamie

Actually i figured you were pissed at yourself and just wanted to get off the stage and vent, so I did clear your gun in a hurry.

I seldom take anything very seriously, and if i'm mad i'm usually very quiet. you can ask those that know me i am seldom quiet!!! :roflol:

As for sharing info, I want everyone to be on equal terms when it comes to shooting, I feel the difference should be in talent and ability. information should be shared, even amongst those competing directly against each other.

Trapr