Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Help on my Gold team

Rye

I messed up the thread on my frame grips. I took the grips from my gold team and put it on my limited pistol. The problem was I mess up the thread on my gold team when i was putting the wood grips from my limited. The screw doesn't want to go in. Can it be re-threaded?

Assuming you are correct and the threads are messed up, you are in a pickle.

The screw is a M3.5. I hate the factory slotted screws they use. I've been searching for a button head hex drive screw for a long time, and had no luck.

Sometimes, when you mess up threads, you can run a tap back through and fix them up. However, in this case, the threads are M3.5. I wonder if you could find a tap.

The most reasonable choice is to drill it out to the next largest common size. The only issue is that the hole in your grips might need opened up some too. The upside would be you could get replacement grip screws at the hardware store!!

Edited by Jeff686

I messed up the thread on my frame grips. I took the grips from my gold team and put it on my limited pistol. The problem was I mess up the thread on my gold team when i was putting the wood grips from my limited. The screw doesn't want to go in. Can it be re-threaded?

Re tap it with the next size up and replace the screw with a better thread.

No biggy on this one. Just make sure you use a drill press to drill and tap

so that it is done nicely. +1 on picking up a screw at a hardware. You can

always grind down to size.

Any machine tool shop should have a tap. I got one to tidy up after I broke a screw off inside.

I wonder if it is really that easy to find. I googled a M3.5 tap. The first 8 it found were in the UK or Australia. The 9th was in the USA, olander.com.

Good luck.

Any machine tool shop should have a tap. I got one to tidy up after I broke a screw off inside.

I wonder if it is really that easy to find. I googled a M3.5 tap. The first 8 it found were in the UK or Australia. The 9th was in the USA, olander.com.

Good luck.

Really? Well maybe being Canadian it was an easier find for me, but I got lucky on the first try.

FWIW: I thought the thread was crossed as well, but it just turned out to be a bunch of lock tight in the threads. If you can get the tap I would suggest trying that before committing to re-drilling and tapping.

Good luck.