Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Lee Loadmaster

well. after those 2 I might just give the Loadmaster another try. I WANT the Loadmaster to work. I so loved my Pro 1000 that I was a Lee fan. Time will tell.

Don't do it!! Lee reloaders will spontaneously combust, kidnap children and make you sterile! :cheers::roflol:

Chris

• 3 weeks later...

Here is the progress report on the Loadmaster as I promised. When I got it it was almost already set up so I didn't have any problems there. After reading about the problems with the Loadmaster priming system I solved the problem by eliminating it from press-Station #2 is now not used for anything. I use a Lee Classic Cast press for both decapping and priming (Lee Safety Prime). I initially had some problems with the indexer and flipper but after replacing both with new parts solved that problem. At this point I am not using the case or bullet feeder. I have a friend who has a Loadmaster and he is supposed to help me set up the case feeder. If it runs smooth without major problems I will use it. If not, will feed the cases by hand. It's amazing how much ammo one can turn out with a progressive press!!! Right now I am using the Loadmaster for 9mm production only for IDPA/USPSA. I also have a Lee Classic Turret press which I use for .45 ACP and other calibers-.357, .38 Special, .44 Magnum, .45 Colt, etc. Again thanks for your comments and suggestions. If a Dillon Progressive is in my future it will be the 650.

already sterile so no worries there! Spontaneously combust, hmmm, with my problems that might be an improvement. Kidnap children, as slow as I am I could not catch a toddler. So; no worries!! :cheers:

:roflol:

Here is the progress report on the Loadmaster as I promised. When I got it it was almost already set up so I didn't have any problems there. After reading about the problems with the Loadmaster priming system I solved the problem by eliminating it from press-Station #2 is now not used for anything. I use a Lee Classic Cast press for both decapping and priming (Lee Safety Prime). I initially had some problems with the indexer and flipper but after replacing both with new parts solved that problem. At this point I am not using the case or bullet feeder. I have a friend who has a Loadmaster and he is supposed to help me set up the case feeder. If it runs smooth without major problems I will use it. If not, will feed the cases by hand. It's amazing how much ammo one can turn out with a progressive press!!! Right now I am using the Loadmaster for 9mm production only for IDPA/USPSA. I also have a Lee Classic Turret press which I use for .45 ACP and other calibers-.357, .38 Special, .44 Magnum, .45 Colt, etc. Again thanks for your comments and suggestions. If a Dillon Progressive is in my future it will be the 650.
already sterile so no worries there! Spontaneously combust, hmmm, with my problems that might be an improvement. Kidnap children, as slow as I am I could not catch a toddler. So; no worries!! :cheers:

:roflol:

After reading about the problems with the Loadmaster priming system I solved the problem by eliminating it from press-Station #2 is now not used for anything.

I'm still not sure why so many people had problems with the primer system. I only had a problem one time and it was because I had gotten sloppy and when I felt some resistance I didn't stop to find out what the problem was.

As to the method you are using, I set up a bunch of .38sp brass for handloads a couple months ago and found that it took remarkably little time to inspect, size and prime 1000 pieces of brass on my Lee Challenger press (basically one step). Maybe someone needs to create a progressive press that only has three stations: powder, bullet seating, and crimp.

After reading about the problems with the Loadmaster priming system I solved the problem by eliminating it from press-Station #2 is now not used for anything.

I'm still not sure why so many people had problems with the primer system. I only had a problem one time and it was because I had gotten sloppy and when I felt some resistance I didn't stop to find out what the problem was.

As to the method you are using, I set up a bunch of .38sp brass for handloads a couple months ago and found that it took remarkably little time to inspect, size and prime 1000 pieces of brass on my Lee Challenger press (basically one step). Maybe someone needs to create a progressive press that only has three stations: powder, bullet seating, and crimp.

If you are kidding, I think I got it. :cheers:

If not then, look at the Pro1000. It is a three station press. You can move the powder station to station #1, bullet seating to station #2 and the Factory Crimp die to station #3. Viola! One of the local guys runs his that way and really likes it.

Personally, I don't have much trouble from my Loadmaster priming system. I clean it every 300-400 rounds.

BTW, Vigilante (or anyone setting up a Loadmaster case feeder) the black plastic box that manipulates the casefeeder has some crappy (yes I said crappy) screws holding it together. These will not create enough friction when adjusted down all the way without stripping the plastic holes in the block. I replaced both of those screws with some self tapping sheetmetal screws that are a little larger. This allows the plastic block to be adjusted with more friction and makes the case feeder work much better.

If you decide to replace these screws then PM me and I'll try to take a couple pics of what I'm talking about.

Chris

If you are kidding, I think I got it.

Yes and no. I wondered if a Lee Pro could be switched around. But thought it might not be possible as, given the way the progressives work, it is very difficult to do a custom configuration with them because certain things must be in certain positions.

If a Dillon Progressive is in my future it will be the 650.

You will never regret it...

I bought my 650 in early 1994 to replace two Lee Pro 1000's. Yes, the 650 was/is expensive. Yes, it is worth it.

The two worst problems I had with the Lee presses were squib loads form no powder and keeping them adjusted. I've had neither problem with the 650, and I use it to load 5 different calibers.

If you are kidding, I think I got it.

Yes and no. I wondered if a Lee Pro could be switched around. But thought it might not be possible as, given the way the progressives work, it is very difficult to do a custom configuration with them because certain things must be in certain positions.

You can do it with the Pro1000. You have to run the spring return system on the powder measure rather than the chain return. Also, you would obviously take the priming system completely out. If you decide to do it you can try PM'ing "joecichlid" as he is the local guy who runs his Pro1000 that way.

Chris

What's the point of a progressive if you have to deprime/resize/prime on a different press?

I would tend to agree. However, even using pre primed brass in a progressive does still cut down some of the steps.

That being said, the priming system in both the Pro1000 and the Loadmaster work. But, you have to read the instructions and set them up properly (I'm sure this is a big reason many don't get them running) and clean them every couple hundred rounds (the most likely reason many report problems later). If you do these two things then the system will run.

BTW, for those "holier than thou" folks who think Dillons never have to have any upkeep, cleaning or have any idiocyncracies then just look at all the Dillon XXX tips and tricks threads. I've seen issues with powders spilling all over, needing to clip coils off of springs, spent primers running all over the bench, the powder drop leaking with certain powders, upsidedown cases in the case tube. And this is just some of them from the first page of the XL650 thread. Oh, and this doesn't even list the poor guy who blew some of his fingers off trying to load primers into a primer tube.

I think I'll keep my fingers and stick with the nice easy to load primer trays from Lee. :ph34r:

Chris

What's the point of a progressive if you have to deprime/resize/prime on a different press?

I would tend to agree. However, even using pre primed brass in a progressive does still cut down some of the steps.

That being said, the priming system in both the Pro1000 and the Loadmaster work. But, you have to read the instructions and set them up properly (I'm sure this is a big reason many don't get them running) and clean them every couple hundred rounds (the most likely reason many report problems later). If you do these two things then the system will run.

BTW, for those "holier than thou" folks who think Dillons never have to have any upkeep, cleaning or have any idiocyncracies then just look at all the Dillon XXX tips and tricks threads. I've seen issues with powders spilling all over, needing to clip coils off of springs, spent primers running all over the bench, the powder drop leaking with certain powders, upsidedown cases in the case tube. And this is just some of them from the first page of the XL650 thread. Oh, and this doesn't even list the poor guy who blew some of his fingers off trying to load primers into a primer tube.

I think I'll keep my fingers and stick with the nice easy to load primer trays from Lee. :ph34r:

Chris

Every press needs to be set up to run 'right'. After that, every press needs to maintained. That was where I experienced a HUGE difference between the Lee and the Dillon. My Lee Pro 1000's had to be 'adjusted' after every 100 to 200 rounds, and I never did get get the powder measure to work 100% reliably. The Dillon on the other hand has been set-and-forget. Even when changing calibers, there is very little adjustment needed, unless of course I am changing bullets and powders from the last run. My 650 press was bought new in early 1994 and has never produced a round without powder (in any of the 5 calibers I reload), and has only made one round with a primer upside down (my fault, not the press's).

There is no question that the Lee Presses will work. But then again, so did Yugos.

Chris

Every press needs to be set up to run 'right'. After that, every press needs to maintained. That was where I experienced a HUGE difference between the Lee and the Dillon. My Lee Pro 1000's had to be 'adjusted' after every 100 to 200 rounds, and I never did get get the powder measure to work 100% reliably. The Dillon on the other hand has been set-and-forget. Even when changing calibers, there is very little adjustment needed, unless of course I am changing bullets and powders from the last run. My 650 press was bought new in early 1994 and has never produced a round without powder (in any of the 5 calibers I reload), and has only made one round with a primer upside down (my fault, not the press's).

There is no question that the Lee Presses will work. But then again, so did Yugos.

That's true. My suggestion to people is that if they have some mechanical ability then Lee presses are fine. However, if they have no mechanical ability then they should do themselves a favor and spend the money on a Dillon (or make friends with someone who does have some mechanical ability). :D (BTW, I consider mechanical ability to be more than just changing a lightbulb but less than rebuilding an engine).

As for my Loadmaster, I have done no "adjustments" to it for the past year that I've had it. I have loaded at least 10,000 rounds on it. However, I do clean the shell plate, priming system and case feeder regularly. I have had more tipped primers and upside down primers than you have (about 30 in 10,000 rounds). However, each time it was because the primer system/shell plate were dirty and I was trying to keep loading rather than cleaning it like I should have. Therefore, the tipped and upside down primers were my fault and not the fault of the press.

Chris

Chris

That's true. My suggestion to people is that if they have some mechanical ability then Lee presses are fine. However, if they have no mechanical ability then they should do themselves a favor and spend the money on a Dillon (or make friends with someone who does have some mechanical ability). :D (BTW, I consider mechanical ability to be more than just changing a lightbulb but less than rebuilding an engine).

As for my Loadmaster, I have done no "adjustments" to it for the past year that I've had it. I have loaded at least 10,000 rounds on it. However, I do clean the shell plate, priming system and case feeder regularly. I have had more tipped primers and upside down primers than you have (about 30 in 10,000 rounds). However, each time it was because the primer system/shell plate were dirty and I was trying to keep loading rather than cleaning it like I should have. Therefore, the tipped and upside down primers were my fault and not the fault of the press.

Chris

It's funny you should say that, because it's exactly what I have told people! :cheers: