Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What's wrong with this load?

XDNut

i have a xd 9 tactical that i run blazers in and have shot several matches with it and and only cleaned it after about the 3rd match . i have not had the first malfunction with it. still has the factory spring in it. i agree it sounds like your loads maybe weak.

1st was the 4.2 gr N320 at 1.160 OAL- Not good in either gun. Feed problems, jams, stove pipe.

2nd was the 3.9 gr Clays at 1.10 OAL - no problems in either gun. Ran great, feed perfect, recoil nice. Very accurate at 15 yrds.

I guess the gun is ok. Just my loads. Still don't understand the OAL issue making that big of a difference but I guess it does. I will Chrono the 2nd load next week and see if it makes PF.

Rick,

new to reloading? If your conclusion based on the above is that OAL is the difference --- you have no way of knowing that, since you also changed powder types. Reloading is a bit of an art --- you need to load 1000s of rounds to perfect your technique of operating the press smoothly, and you may need to experiment with all kinds of powders, primers and OALs to discover an accurate load that makes pf and runs your gun reliably. (If you get lucky that load will fulfill all three requirements in a back-up gun as well, but it's not always the case.....) Once you find such a load, stick with it and resist the temptation to discover a softer, more accurate, more whatever load.....

• 2 weeks later...

I run 3.4g of Titegroup over a 147 plated bullet on my 5" XD-9 with a 16# spring.

Not sure of the exact OAL, but I set it with Winchester White Box....

I've run over 6,000 rounds of it thru without a problem.

But I did notice, when I was working up the load, that 3.0g would give me a malfunction every mag or two..