Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Day/Night Match, Albany Oregon

This month at ARPC in Albany, Oregon is having its regular monthy USPSA match at 9:00am, but is also having a night match at 5:30pm.

Who's going? Anyone attending both? I am.

We'll have 3-4 hours between matches. Anyone interested in a group meal?

I'll go to a groud meal but most likely not shooting either. Still don't have my equipment.

That's no excuse!

Do you know your way around a 1911?

You bring the ammo, I'll bring the gear. Any RN will work.

I'll be at both. According to accu-weather, long johns will be required. And maybe gloves

wunderground says 49deg at 4pm, and 40deg at 10pm.

That doesn't sound too bad. The Wilamette Valley is very temperate, all things considered. Compared to my home town, it stays pretty warm here all year. We can shoot 12 months of the year in Oregon, and rarely worry about anything but rain.

Is the "night match" with flash lights, lasers...what? If I go, trying to decide what to bring besides warm clothes :)

Well, the match is held in the same bays as the regular matches. I didn't attend last year, but have prior years. Mostly, I remember it is cold. Of course, cold and dry is much better than tepid and rainy.

I think there are 4 or 5 stages in the match. Usually there is a stage with road flairs, one with a floodlight (backlight or partially obscured), and one with police light bar. Sometimes it can get pretty dark, and a flashlight is needed to find the targets. Other times you can shoot the stage without a personal light. I think if people didn't ruin their night vision (by using flashlights to score, tape, load, etc) you could shoot the whole match without extra light. However, that is not practical. I've thought about wearing sunglasses, then switching to clear at 'Make Ready'.

If I remember the rules correctly (which may have changed). A head mounted or gun mounted flashlight puts you in 'open' class. Lasers are of course in 'open' class. Otherwise, they standard classes apply. MANY people discover that they can't see their sights, and ended up shooting one handed, holding the flashlight above their head trying to illuminate the target and their gun.

I would suggest you bring a light for shooting (your choice), plus a small LED or keyfob light for rummaging in your bag, loading mags, and score keeping. Obviously, the match goes a little slower than normally, but it is worth it.

I think they hand out chem lights (necklaces or similar) that everyone has to wear, just to be a little safer. You might want to bring your own extra, just in case. Otherwise, gloves and a hat.

Oh, I usually do very well shooting my 1911 with trijicon night sights. However, this year I'm going to shoot open with my V8 popple holes and comp on my Tanfoglio. Can you say fireball?

Oh, bring a camera!!

In case you didn't hear:

Due to potential weather conditions we have made a change for this Saturday's match. The day match will go on but the night match has been cancelled due to potential hazardous driving conditions. I've shortened up the stages a little to cut down on the amount of time each stage takes and of course we are under cover for the match. I hope to see you there and we look forward to some good weather breaks and a great match. - Match Director