Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which AR mag springs? Chrome silicon or Stainless?

Cuz

I finally acquired a few pre-ban AR mags, 30 rounders (stop laughing, I live in MA). The bodies are in great shape, but the springs are beat and they have the old black followers. I was looking at replacement spring/follower/basepad kits from Brownells and it seems there are two kinds of mag springs, chrome silicon or stainless steel. Can anyone provide any info as to the differences between them? Is one better? Any info is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

-Cuz.

Chrome silicon last longer under use. I have seen some complaints about "rust" on chrome silicon, but I have not seen it. They turn dark after a while, but that is not "rust" to me.

OT to the original question, but.....A long time ago, I rebuilt some USGI mags and replaced the followers with the green ones. The mags ran fine before, and have run fine since. Not sure replacing the followers did anything. Today, if I felt compelled to replace the followers, I would go with Mag-Pul since they go in and out easier than the green ones. Not that the green ones are hard, but if you want to clean the mags in the field (at a match), easier is better.

Lee

• 2 weeks later...

I too utilize the C/S springs in both the 20 and 30 round mags.

I took a bunch of tired mil-spec mags and replaced the springs with C/S springs, Magpul anti-tilt followers and Ranger base plates and they now run flawlessly.

This might be an option for those unable to find new mags amidst the post-election buying frenzy.