Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Where to start?

saibot

I had a friend for out of town gave me his reloading kit, a Lee single stage press kit, and just got the dies for 9mm Luger. So I think I have everything I need to get going, but now comes the hard part...where to start? Lee only recommends CCI and Winchester primers so that's easy, and I'll be reloading my once shot brass. But I'm not sure about the rest. My goal is to have lots of practice ammo as well as ammo for USPSA matches. I have a M&P9 with the stock barrel, so I was thinking about using the moly coated precisionbullets (http://www.precisionbullets.com/) or the plated (http://www.berrysmfg.com/11.php) berry's bullets.

I have no idea about what powder to get or how much to use or any of the technical data. Where can I find reliable, safe information?

It's all a little overwhelming! :wacko:

Thanks!

First things first. Buy two good manuals. Speer and Lee's Modern Reloading come to mind. Their are others, good ones too. This has to happen. Read them and read them again until you completely understand the process.

Jim

Your bullet/powder/OAL combinations will be detailed in your published reloading manuals. Get the RLMs and a pile of the free powder booklets from your local dealer. Read, read, read.

The Speer manual seems to concentrate only on Speer products. I much prefer the Lyman RLM which (since Lyman doesn't make powder or bullets) has a huge cross section of different brand components. Still the Speer is one to have in your library. You can get volume 13 hard bound from Grafs brand new for $6.

Edited by rfwobbly