Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

tumbling bullets

I just began hand loading a month ago. So far I've used Bullseye exclusively with 3 different bullets. Nosler 185gr JHP, Speer 230gr GDHP and Montana Gold 230gr CMJ. The JHP's have worked well, however I've found the RN Montana Golds to yeild a really high percentage of tumble (>50%) as evidenced on paper targets. I'm thinking my COAL with the MG ball might be the causative agent here. I've been running a COAL of 1.25" with 5.3gr BE and a taper crimp of about .470".

Oddly enough, I get much fewer tumbles with this particular load shooting it out of my 4.25" Commander than I do with my 5" Government.... I'd have guessed it would have been the other way around. However regardless of what I shoot it out of, I know I shouldn't be having this many rounds tumble on me.

Any thoughts or suggestions????

Also... if you have a good recipt for a good, soft target load for a .45ACP burning Clays, with either 230gr RN or 185gr JHP, I'd appreciate you sharing it with me as well.

Thanks in advance :rolleyes:

I just began hand loading a month ago. So far I've used Bullseye exclusively with 3 different bullets. Nosler 185gr JHP, Speer 230gr GDHP and Montana Gold 230gr CMJ. The JHP's have worked well, however I've found the RN Montana Golds to yeild a really high percentage of tumble (>50%) as evidenced on paper targets. I'm thinking my COAL with the MG ball might be the causative agent here. I've been running a COAL of 1.25" with 5.3gr BE and a taper crimp of about .470".

Oddly enough, I get much fewer tumbles with this particular load shooting it out of my 4.25" Commander than I do with my 5" Government.... I'd have guessed it would have been the other way around. However regardless of what I shoot it out of, I know I shouldn't be having this many rounds tumble on me.

Any thoughts or suggestions????

Also... if you have a good recipt for a good, soft target load for a .45ACP burning Clays, with either 230gr RN or 185gr JHP, I'd appreciate you sharing it with me as well.

Thanks in advance :rolleyes:

Frankly I can't imagine why you're having tumbling issues with 5.3 grains BE under the 230 Gr. MG's...fairly stiff load but that ain't gonna' do it. Have you miked the bullets to see if you happened to get some a bit undersized? On the target load, 3.9 grains of Clays under 230's works for an awful lot of people. I use N-310 under 185's but I'm sure someone will come along with a Clays suggestion there as well.

The load is 5.3 gr of Bullseye, 230gr CMJRN w/1.250 COAL. Although I shoot Major in IPSC, I have yet to chrono this load to see what the PF is yet.... I'm more concerned about arresting the tumbling issue first, then I'll address the PF.

I haven't miked the MGB yet, but I will.... even if they are out of spec, I really doubt there'd be that high a percentage. I've heard too many good thing's about those bullets from people who have been shooting them for a very long time. It's got to be something I'm doing, or not, during reloading..

Thanks for your replies, Mucho Gusto!

THG :cheers:

Edited by The Happy Gila