Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

vhit 3n38 147 xtp 9mm load

mikeone

The Vit online manual states you can get 1200 fps with 6.9 gr 3n38 loaded to 1.142. :surprise:

This data was from a 4in barrel. I don't think they would lie, but this sounds like an awesome load if true.

I just bought 4 lbs and a bunch of hornady 147 xtp and their 147 fmj bullets ill post my findings as soon as I get the stuff.

Glock 34 and Sti Trojan will be used.

Any one else played with this load.

Thanks Mike

Edited by mikeone

It would indeed be an awesome load - for shooting bowling pins. Expect stout recoil.

If it hits 1200, that would be a 176 Power Factor. And there it is, right on line for everyone to see: - a published 9mm Major load. Must be safe, if its published in this litigious age.

I don't doubt that your Glock 34's longer barrel will produce that velocity. I'd use the heaviest recoil spring available. BTW, I have shot Major 124s from a stock Glock 17. The Glock can take it.

d.

The Vit online manual states you can get 1200 fps with 6.9 gr 3n38 loaded to 1.142. :surprise:

This data was from a 4in barrel. I don't think they would lie, but this sounds like an awesome load if true.

I just bought 4 lbs and a bunch of hornady 147 xtp and their 147 fmj bullets ill post my findings as soon as I get the stuff.

Glock 34 and Sti Trojan will be used.

Any one else played with this load.

Thanks Mike

Edited by Carlos

Mike, I tried 3N38 several years ago with 147gr Zeros. The load was right at 6.3gr and from what I remember the velocity was right about 1140 fps. I was launching these bad boys out of a G24 with a Bar-Sto 9mm barrel that has popple holes in it. Even with a heavy brass magwell, full mags and a dot on the pistol the recoil was NASTY! It's actually more comfortable to shoot .40's loaded to major out of this pistol with the factory ported .40 barrel. However, I will say that there were not any signs of dangerous pressure levels on the 9mm cases. This powder works well when you need to send heavy bullets down range at velocities usually obtained only with lighter bullets. Best wishes with your loads.

RH

I had some 9x23 loads using 147 grain JHP (Remington I think) that were getting around 1350 fps before starting to show signs of pressure. At that point I started using small rifle primers and was able to move up a small amount. The recoil wasn't anything that would hurt you, but it was excessive.

I cannot get to my notes at this time because they are in a storage facility. But I did a good bit of testing 9 mm and 9x23. Some of the powders I remember using are 3N37, 3N38, Ramshot Silhouette (WAP), 231, either Red dot or Green dot, HP 6 and HP 7.

The lighter bullets seemed to do everything better in my guns. My guns were not compensated.

Buddy

• 2 weeks later...

We'll after two weeks of waiting The powder and bullets should get here today. And I'll post my results asap.

I just ordered a 9X25 Dillon barrel for my Glock, Ive been bitten bad by the HYPER 9 bug

Edited by mikeone

All I have to say is wow. Just got done testing this load.

Speer once fired +p nickle brass

Fed small mag primers

Hornady 147 fmj enc

oal 1.165

7 gr vhit 3n38

1200+ fps avg from my STI TROJAN

gonna look at all my brass to check for signs of bad news bears.

I started at 6.6 but 7 just sang in my pistol.

Im glad I changed the spring out it needed it .

This load rocks. My glock 17 ate it up but it was like artillery.

man i hope im doing everything right and safe here, and we will soon see cause im addicted

147gr 9 major is blast, I can't wait to smoke pins with this and xtp's.

hope this helps anyone else who is interested.

Thanks Mike

Edited by mikeone

Case web expansion is a bit of a problem. But a full length resize should cure that.

And flat primers occured also but there still in the pocket.

Im obsessed with my 9X25 Dillon right now but more MONSTER 9mm 147 will continue.

Mike

Edited by mikeone