Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Buying two presses instead of one?

DGeneM

If you are someone that is easily distracted or pulled away from the bench while reloading and not very structured might I suggest a 650......... :ph34r:

I know some people that have double charged their rounds on 550s when their process got interupted for whatever reason....No rhyme or reason...Good experienced reloaders....which means it can happen to anyone.....

With either unit you can set up toolheads for the calibers you want to load and have them ready.

The SDB sounds great if you load/shoot a thousand rounds or less a month. Any more than that you need to put a price on your time too.......A 650 with casefeeder would be the way to go for saving you time. I just think from what I have seen if you are going progressive, you need an auto-index feature as well......

Good luck in your purchase, Dillon blue is the way to go regardless..... :cheers:

DougC

I fully agree but..... I started with a 650 about 8 years ago and the learning curve is rather steep. I'm comfortable (and careful) with it now but keep in mind , you can make a mistake in your setup and crank out a bunch of rounds you may have to pull later. Don't ask me how I know..... :rolleyes:

I have a Lee progressive on which I load .45 only. I have a Dillon 550 w/ .40, 9mm, and 38 conversions. and I have 4 single stage presses for rifle. I only load .308 & 30/06 rifle so I have a press for bullet seating for each, and I have a press for sizing each. For the rifle I also have 2 Lee powder measure/droppers 1 for each caliber. The 2 single stage sizers and the powder drops are stored under the bench and I have threaded inserts in the bench so I mount the one I am using at that time. I prime my rifle brass by hand. I would like to get another 9mm set-up for the 550 to load major nine this way once it is set leave it alone. I don't mind adjusting the 9mm for minor loads (steel and minor) but I don't know about major nine "set it and forget it" except checking every once in a while. Thinking about it now, I should get another Lee progressive for the 9mm minor loads and it would be a matter of changing the powder disk (Hmmm!)