Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Scope throw levers

badchad

I was surprised at the A6 to see Benny Hill with grip tape on his Burris. If it works for Benny, I'm sure it will work for me. Might be a nickel or two cheaper also.

He did the same thing to the Burris on my gun. No need to unmount the scope to make the change...Works pretty spiffy.. :cheers:

badchad,

Keep working the weak hand, IMHO that is the way to go. It doesn't hurt to be proficient either way though. Most of the time you have some movement between targets (long and short) to both reload and or power up and down the scope. I think the biggest problem is to "REMEMBER" to power up and down and when!!!!

Glad you tried the throw lever. Just another piece of equipment for the rucksack.

RLTW,

Scott Hawkins

AKA Busyhawk

Keep working the weak hand, IMHO that is the way to go. It doesn't hurt to be proficient either way though. Most of the time you have some movement between targets (long and short) to both reload and or power up and down the scope.

Thanks, I can see where changing a mag and immediately changing my scope power with my left hand would be an advantage, given I could change the lever with equal speed. Aside from that is there any other reason why it would be better to use my weak hand to fiddle with the scope as opposed to my right?

Yes,

When moving it is best to keep the strong hand on the pistol grip and unload and load weak handed (IMHO since it is a little harder to release a magazine from the gun weak handed) . I can shoot at short distances with the strong hand only if needed but removing my strong hand from the gun will not give me that option. Like I said before...you need to be proficient either way since things (Sh_ _) happens.

Now if you really like the strong hand reload make sure your released magazine drops/is released or now you are trying to do every thing while holding the rifle weak handed and sometimes the barrel goes in weird directions. Strong handed control (to me) seems to be more controlable.

Just my .02 cents.

Scott

Thanks again. Just to clarify, as it is now I like to reload with my weak hand. It's just turning the throw lever on the scope that seems considerably easier and faster to do with my strong hand. However I have only had the throw lever for a couple days now.

Using my strong arm to twist the lever, I'm still keeping the rifle mounted, it just seems easier for me to hold it up to my shoulder by the hand guard. Trying to twist the lever with my weak arm is a PITA and my rifle swings all over the place, but initially I thought that's how it should be done. I'm not sure if what I'm doing is "correct" but so far it seems considerably easier and faster for me. With your longer lever perhaps it's easier to twist weak handed. I’ll keep playing with it.

Yes with the longer lever it's a no brainer. That's why we made it that way. I need all the advantage I can get. Shooters Connection is stocking them now too.

Chris C.

Anyone know if there's a 'throw lever' available for an IOR anywhere?

Been down that road before and it's just not possible right now. The IOR has a 35mm tube with a Larue mount there is just not enough clearence between the bottom of the adjustment ring and the top of the flattop on the rifle. Plus the adjustment ring is tapered on both side and there is nothing really for grab onto. It want's to walk off either side. That scope will be a tuff nut to crack.

Chris C.

Yes, Virginia, there really is an IOR throw lever. This one was 1 of 5 anodized aluminum prototypes built on a CNC lathe by a friend of a friend who owns a precision machine shop. It's held on with two allen screws and has a set screw. He might be convinced to sell these if there was enough volume.

post-7304-1227639718_thumb.jpg

Anyone know if there's a 'throw lever' available for an IOR anywhere?

Been down that road before and it's just not possible right now. The IOR has a 35mm tube with a Larue mount there is just not enough clearence between the bottom of the adjustment ring and the top of the flattop on the rifle. Plus the adjustment ring is tapered on both side and there is nothing really for grab onto. It want's to walk off either side. That scope will be a tuff nut to crack.

Chris C.

Yes, Virginia, there really is an IOR throw lever. This one was 1 of 5 anodized aluminum prototypes built on a CNC lathe by a friend of a friend who owns a precision machine shop. It's held on with two allen screws and has a set screw. He might be convinced to sell these if there was enough volume.

post-7304-1227639718_thumb.jpg

Very nice!!!

Chris C.

BerKim,

Call RandRRacingonline.com...he has throw levers in stock for:

Meopta

Leupold (both)

Burris

Millet

Nightforce

Trigicon

Swarski

Not sure about the IOR but give him the size and he will get one for you.

Don't beat me up on my spelling...