Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Questions about 870 for my kid

High Lord Gomer

I'm going to get a 20 gauge 870 for my soon-to-be 11 year old son. Primary use will be 3-gun, but also want to be able to shoot trap and skeet with it. He has shot a youth model and it fit him correctly.

1. Anybody know if this stock collapses down to be the same size as the youth model? http://www.remington.com/products/firearms...-shot_20-ga.asp

2. If I go with a Nordic tube extension, what is the ideal length for the barrel (and do they even come in different lengths)?

3. I don't believe the link above comes with a barrel outiftted for choke inserts. Should I be looking at a different model?

TIA!

I got my son an 870 Youth 20ga with a 21" VR barrel for his 10th birthday. He uses it mostly for sporting clays, but he has also shot a few 3-gun matches with it. We installed a Choate 8+1 mag tube which extends just slightly past the muzzle (maybe 1") and works great. The standard factory stock works well, though we did fill it with lead shot to dampen recoil a bit, and to bring the ballance back (helpful with the extended mag tube). Your son will love this setup, and its cheaper (under $300 for the gun plus mag tube). Also, it is more "traditional" looking for clay shooting if your son finds he prefers that sport. Oh, and the barrel on the Youth model comes with RemChokes, so you can adjust choke according to the game you are playing.

Here's a photo of the gun in 3-Gun configuration:

870Youth3-GunConfiguration.jpg

Edited by StealthyBlagga