Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Inaccurate with Glock, Ok with XD40. Am I nuts?

FOB

There is no magic gun just a lot of practice in the future and dry fire too.

I would have to agree here. I shot a Glock in a steel match for kicks once. Did as well with that as I had up to that point with any of my other pistols. I've shot CZs, TZs, 1911s, and compete with a BHP. I think Jake hit it for me. What you practice your draws, reloads, transitions, etc with is the platform you will do well with.

Try shooting a revo for a while weakhand and I tell you it will improve your weakhand shooting period. Cant say the grip angle has a thing to do with that.

Just my .45 to stir the pot. :devil:

I think it's the Glock trigger, it takes some getting used to.

My first Glock was a LE model 22 with the NY trigger. Between the snappiness of the 40 and the NY trigger, I couldn't hit a damn thing with it. Got rid of it, swore off Glocks forever.

Fast forward a couple of years and a friend let me shoot his lightly modified 34. Wow! This thing shoots like a laser. Sweet trigger, very controllable and easy sight picture. Just point and squeeze, what could be easier?

Before you give up on the Glock, arrange to shoot one that has had good trigger job. It's like night and day from the stock pistol.

I think it's the Glock trigger, it takes some getting used to.

My first Glock was a LE model 22 with the NY trigger. Between the snappiness of the 40 and the NY trigger, I couldn't hit a damn thing with it. Got rid of it, swore off Glocks forever.

Fast forward a couple of years and a friend let me shoot his lightly modified 34. Wow! This thing shoots like a laser. Sweet trigger, very controllable and easy sight picture. Just point and squeeze, what could be easier?

Before you give up on the Glock, arrange to shoot one that has had good trigger job. It's like night and day from the stock pistol.

Agreed, and good GLOCK trigger is spelled (Charlie Vanek). :cheers:

Not to be argumentive, but I don't think that this difference has a thing to do with grip angle. I could build a gun with a 160 degree grip angle and the principles of marksmanship would still be just as applicable. (Somebody already built that gun. It's a rifle.)

Glock triggers are clearly double-action. It really feels like a revolver. The XD is striker-fired, but it really has a long single-action pull. A good revolver shooter will most likely be a good Glock shooter.

What separates a good revolver shooter from the average shooter? The ability to watch the sights during the entire trigger press AND MAKE CORRECTIONS THROUGHOUT THE PRESS. A 1911 shooter can usually get away with obtaining a good sight picture, saying "It looks good NOW", and giving the trigger a little "whack". A revolver shoooter would be horribly inaccurate if they attempted the same technique.

We use Glocks at my agency. When I am teaching a new virgin shooter (yes, they do exist now. A lot more than the old days.), I use a 4-inch S&W Model 586 as the first training tool. Let them dry-fire it a lot, then work up to wadcutters, and then transition to the Glock. I force them to become decent revolver shooters FIRST.

Edited by Braxton1