Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

lefty slide stop

Jhp147

This is a small thing, I know...not enough to interest most 'smiths, I guess, but...

Being a lefty, I trip the slide release with my trigger finger-or push it UP to engage it when I "unload and show clear." Most slide releases are rounded on bottom, but the Wilson one has a ledge and I usually use it. Problem is, the Wilson one won't work on either of my STIs, won't lock the slide. SO, I'd like to have the bottom of the stop textured. I've seen big name smiths texture (even golfball texture) the bottom of the release, making it easy to move up.

Question is, who would do a deep ledge or stippling on one-I'd even buy it from the maker? I don't really like the one Grieder/Nighthawk sells, is that my only other choice...and will IT work in my single stack STIs?

Thanks

Edited by sheepdog

Something to consider. What about an extended type of slide stop, but trip the extended part off. I use this on my SS gun. It gives a nice ledge on both top and bottom.

Otherwise, it should be fairly straight forward to merely checker the underside of you current one.

want2race, I guess I didn't realize the extended one also stuck out wider than normal, worth a look. I know it is not a huge job to checker the bottom, I just thought is was so small that nobody would want to mess with it for less than big bucks.

Silver Surfer, hadn't thought of them, but since they do some sort of small jobs, making bushings to fit and all, maybe they would take on a little checkering or serration job for me if I buy their stop as you suggested. Maybe it could be done by running some milled serrations along the bottom or something. I know Mr. Smith made all the time in the world to exchange E-mails with me helping me fix a problem and talking me out of buying a part of his that I didn't need, so maybe he'd be happy to make a few dollars off a small job for me. Costs zero to ask.

thanks guys

Edited by sheepdog