Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

S&W M&P

Tom Mainus

I am getting ready to dive into the production pool, have narrowed my choice down to a S&W M&P in 9MM. The question that I haven't found a definite answer to is the mag release button. Guy from the gun store says that you can switch them to the right side of the gun.(I am a lefty) Is this true? I like the M&P because it has the slide release on both sides already, and if the mag button is an easy fix as well, that seals the deal for me. What do you more experienced M&P guys say about this. Can it be done? Can someone with absolutely no gunsmithing experience handle this or does it need to be done by someone who knows what they are doing.

Tom

I am getting ready to dive into the production pool, have narrowed my choice down to a S&W M&P in 9MM. The question that I haven't found a definite answer to is the mag release button. Guy from the gun store says that you can switch them to the right side of the gun.(I am a lefty) Is this true? I like the M&P because it has the slide release on both sides already, and if the mag button is an easy fix as well, that seals the deal for me. What do you more experienced M&P guys say about this. Can it be done? Can someone with absolutely no gunsmithing experience handle this or does it need to be done by someone who knows what they are doing.

Tom

The mag release is very simple to change. There are instructions included in the owners manual of how to do this as well.

If you are looking at a M&P in 9mm have a look at the new 9L. Longer barrel = longer sight radius. Rave reviews so far from those who have purchased them. You may also want to lurk at the M&P pistol forum too. Lots of M&P info there.

http://mp-pistol.com/boards/

One note of caution - as of this posting the 9L is not on the USPSA approved production gun list. I would think by the end of the first quarter in 09 it well be recognized. I have heard that USPSA is waiting for S&W to notify them that they have produced at least 2000 of these models, which is one of the requirements for the gun to be recognized for competition.

Very easy to do. I regularly swap the mag release on my 9 from left (for me) to right (for my son). His hands aren't big enough to high it with his thumb, so he does it with his trigger finger.

Once you take the slide off, reach down in the mag well with a flat bladed screwdriver and pull the spring / long rod out of the notch in the mag release button. Once the spring is out, you can slide the button out, flip it over, and reinsert from the other side. You'll have to move the spring out of the way when inserting, then move it back into the catch area to finish.

I am getting ready to dive into the production pool...

WHAT?! :o You abandoning the revo?

Have fun! You gonna like the M&P.

I own to many revolvers to ever get out of it :)

Just trying something new. I have been shooting revolver exclusively since 2001. Maybe getting a little burnt out and need a new direction for a little bit. Production seemed like the most logical place for me to try next.

Tom