Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Differances between Titegroup & Longshot

markwilliston

I have been shooting titegroup for 3 years, and a few friends suggested trying longshot, so I picked up 2 lbs (winter being the time to experiment). Talking with various people that are a lot of things about longshot that I like. 175 PF loads w/ titegroup in my gun is right at max, and the pressure is way up there, longshot is right at the bottom of the scale. Longshot also fills the case more, one less chance of a double charge when the bullet won't seat...

I've run some loads over the chrono and was kinda surprised by the results.

Here is my match load in titegroup:

AVG Vel 968.9

SD 9.69

AVG ME 375.31

AVG PF 174.40

HI Vel 988

LO Vel 955

Max Dev 33

Here was my starting load with longshot:

AVG Vel 1004.8

SD 21.01

AVG ME 403.63

AVG PF 180.86

HI Vel 1029

LO Vel 957

Max Dev 72

Second load of longshot .1 less:

AVG Vel 972.4

SD 24.07

AVG ME 378.02

AVG PF 175.03

HI Vel 1007

LO Vel 934

Max Dev 73

Look at the differance in SD and MD, it's double. I've looked at a bunch of my titegroup loads and they are all about the same.

I'm leaning towards sticking with titegroup, but still have more longshot to shoot.

Any thoughts?

Longshot is a fairly slow powder, about like Blue Dot. I'd try another powder about halfway between the two you have - something like Unique, Universal Clays, Solo 1250, 231 or WSF. You'll still have less pressure than the TG loads, but you'll be nearer to the area where powders burn more cleanly and efficiently.

Now, if you want to make up some full power moose stompers, Longshot is the best! Just be prepared to lose your hearing for a while. ;)

Longshot works OK for the lighter .40 bullets. Still, even moderate loads using 135gr Rainers feel more like handgun hunting loads to me. Try a 155gr bullet with Longshot. Unique is an excellent alternative especially if your using a lead bullet. Fills the case nicely, is cheap and can be found all over.

TiteGroup is very popular in the games because it works. A pinch more than 4 grains pushes a 180gr bullet to major velocities in my gun. No issues at all.

Problem with it seems to be that it produces low velocities in some barrels. That's prompting some to use loads a pinch under 5 grs and that ain't good. Fast powders like TG and Clays can take big chunks of happy from you if screw up even a bit. So there's that.

Jim