Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Speed And Reload Stage

Mistral404

We were shooting a small three stage match a weekend ago or so. Squad 1 was on Stage 1 and shot a three target, free style, strong hand weak hand, with mandatory reloads between transitions. That is 2/2/2 reload 2/2/2 reload 2/2/2.

Well Squad 2 was going a little slow. So I suggested we shoot our stage again but with a difference---all speed.

Six shots on T1, Reload, Six shots on T2, Reload, Six shots on T3.

Talk about a bunch of psych-upped folks. They loved it. They got to push themselves i n a friendly competitive environment. Even some of the slower shooters remarked about how good they felt about shooting it. They did not know they could shoot that fast and still hit a target. Quite a few shooter remarked not only about pushing themselves but about the enthusiasm, support and encouragement of the squad--Because of shooting that stage, almost everyone said they felt more confident during the shooting of the other stages.

So I concluded that stepping out of the comfort zone can be done it a fun go for broke manner sometimes. The unilateral support of the squad really got people to relax and shoot faster and better. Starting off with a stage that builds confidence can set the tone for the entire match.

Brian talks about the support he and TGO gave each other, imagine ten other folks doing the same thing for you. Talk about a confidence builder.

My goal for designing a stage is going to emphasize: 1) build confidence, 2) encourage speed, and 3) make people move-transition. I think one stage should re-enforce some (not all) the fundamentals. We always have plenty of stages that offer challenging shooting solutions.

This reminds me of a stage we shot a month ago, 4 targets at 2 yards, two shoots each, reload 2 shoots each. It was amazing that 3 of the 5 A-M class shooters in ours squad tanked it. But it was sure fun, and since it was a club match we let the "tankers" reshooting it for fun :) It is funny watching people get so jazzed up about getting to open the throttle all the way :)

Squad 1 was on Stage 1 and shot a three target, free style, strong hand weak hand, with mandatory reloads between transitions.

Time to point out that it was not a legal IPSC stage, without making a federal case out of it.

:( end of thread drift :(