Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.45 ACP with 200 gr FMJ

BamBam

My .45 is picky about bullet shapes, and I was happy to find the [new?] West Coast 200 grain FMJ bullets that are lighter but have the exact shape nose of the traditional 230 grain bullets.  Gun loves them for feeding, and a it feels like a quicker cycling action.  But now I need a good powder load.  Everyone says "Clays" for the 230 grain bulelts, but the books put a 200 grain Clays load nowhere close to major.  Suggestions from the collective Enos-Page brain trust would be appreciated.

Steven - what about pressure in the Clays?  My fed primers were showing some stress at 4.3 grains which is what the book lists at max powder charge, and it was only about 153 PF.  What brand primers do you use and how do they look?  

At 5.1 grains of titegroup I was only getting 162 PF.  I'll have to bump it up a notch and try again.

I'll also get some V-V to try.  Thanks.

Quote: from BamBam on 12:47 pm on Dec. 22, 2002

Steven - what about pressure in the Clays?What brand primers do you use and how do they look?  

I haven't had any signs of over pressure (flattened primers or case bulges).  I'm using Winchester LP primers and have loaded around 20K rounds using this load without any problems.  I've been as high as 4.7gr using Clays before the Area 1 championship a couple years ago....I wanted to make sure I was making Major PF...turns out I was chrono'ing around 910fps....I dialed it down after that...but still no signs of overpressure.

Yep -that has been my load for about 3000 Westcoast 200 RNs; 4.5 to 4.6 grns of straight, plain old Clays and winchester LP - no pressure signs to worry about. Its the .40 cal that has real problems w/ clays - the .45 does not generate enought pressure to cause big problems w/ this powder at 165PF.

Carlos and Steve - I was just a little worried about clays pushing the 200 grain since my reloading manual says that 4.3 is the max load at pressure for that bullet, and because my federal primers were looking a bit flattened.  However, fed primers are softer that the WP so maybe that's the difference.  If you think its the hot ticket (no pun intended), I'll mix up a batch with the win primers and give is a test drive.

Also, I load to 1.260" - abou the same as I would for 230 RN but keep in mind that there is slightly more room under the 200 at the same given OAL (thus safer).

Also, If you have accuracy problems, try lightening the crimp. I overcrimped some plated bullets once - I think htey were Speer Gold Dots - and accuracy went downhill.