Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Reversing An Infraction For Reshoot?

ErikW

Sunday I caught a Limited shooter hosing down a stage with a 170mm magazine. I wrote on his scoresheet that he was to be moved into Open division. On that stage, the score didn't add up and he had to reshoot. He asked to stay in Limited since his Open run wasn't really a run. I kept him in Open.

Did I do the right thing? Why or why not?

I think he used a 170 on the previous stage, too, but I was only observing, not ROing.

Erik,

He should have been moved to Open.

The fact that a reshoot was necessary after the fact is irrelevant. The COF began and he shot your stage while failing to comply with the requirements of his declared Division, so Rule 6.2.6 applies.

Erik,

He should have been moved to Open.

The fact that a reshoot was necessary after the fact is irrelevant. The COF began and he shot your stage while failing to comply with the requirements of his declared Division, so Rule 6.2.6 applies.

Does the term "during the competition" in 6.2.6 mean the same thing/time frame as "the start of the COF" in 8.3.1? It would seem that 6.2.6 leaves open the possibility of being in violation of the equipment rules at any time during the match/competition, not just after the the LAMR command.

Yes, "during the competition" might, if taken to a ridiculous extreme, imply "at anytime", in which case a competitor in Production Division who merely handles a 170mm magazine in the milking shed between stages should be moved to Open Division.

With such a mindset, then Rule 6.4.2 would also imply that once your scores are used "for a single team", this applies to the rest of your life, because the words "in the match" are missing.

However, to my mind, a reasonable man would understand "during the competition" means "while actually competing", in other words "during a course of fire", which starts with the "LAMR" command.

Still, recognising that not all men are reasonable, the relevant rules were amended a few weeks ago during our recently concluded Rules Review, to obviate any doubt.

In case anybody is interested in the new wording of current IPSC Rule 6.2.6, it has been split (and renumbered) as follows:

6.2.5 Where a Division is unavailable or deleted, or where a competitor fails to declare a specific Division prior to the commencement of a match, the competitor will be placed in the Division which, in the opinion of the Range Master, most closely identifies with the competitor's equipment. If, in the opinion of the Range Master, no suitable Division is available, the competitor will shoot the match for no score.

6.2.5.1 However if a competitor fails to satisfy the equipment or other requirements of a declared Division during a course of fire, the competitor will be placed in Open Division, if available, otherwise the competitor will shoot the match for no score.

6.2.5.2 A competitor who is classified or reclassified as above must be notified as soon as possible. The Range Master's decision on these matters is final.

In case anybody is interested in the new wording of current IPSC Rule 6.2.6, it has been split (and renumbered) as follows:

6.2.5 Where a Division is unavailable or deleted, or where a competitor fails to declare a specific Division prior to the commencement of a match, the competitor will be placed in the Division which, in the opinion of the Range Master, most closely identifies with the competitor's equipment. If, in the opinion of the Range Master, no suitable Division is available, the competitor will shoot the match for no score.

6.2.5.1 However if a competitor fails to satisfy the equipment or other requirements of a declared Division during a course of fire, the competitor will be placed in Open Division, if available, otherwise the competitor will shoot the match for no score.

6.2.5.2 A competitor who is classified or reclassified as above must be notified as soon as possible. The Range Master's decision on these matters is final.

Beautiful! Was that so hard?

- A Reasonable Man - :)