Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Steel Challenge - Ames, Iowa. Sat. September 20th

It's time to make your practice at the weekly steel shoots pay off. On Saturday, September 20th the Ames Izaak Walton League will be hosting a full Steel Challenge event. One day, all eight stages.

Each stage will be run a total of five times. The slowest time dropped and the sum of the remaining runs equal the stage's total. All eight stage times are combined for your match total. Each stage consists of 5 plate arrays which can be viewed here:

http://steelchallenge.com/media/stage-diagrams.html

We have space to run four bays at the same time so the shooting should flow fairly well. We'll break for lunch and rearrange plates for the remaining stages in the afternoon.

The minimum round count is 200 so bring plenty of ammo for each entry. You may enter more than once if you wish. At this time I think we'll divide classes up like we do for the Ames steel shoots, unless someone would rather have it broken down further. We currently run the following classes:

"Stock" auto - Similar to Limited in USPSA. No optics or ported/comped

barrels allowed. Any safe internal modifications are fine, exterior

mods such as grip stippling/reduction or magwells are ok. No round

limit but mags are limited to 140mm in length. Race holsters allowed.

Open auto - Optics and comps are ok, 170mm mag length, any safe

external and internal mods allowed.

Stock revolver - Iron sights, no ported/comped barrels. 8 round guns

allowed.

Open revolver - Optics and comps ok, 8 round guns allowed

Stock .22 - same as stock auto

Open .22 - same as open auto

Because there is no movement involved with the shooting this event should appeal to many shooters. It's purely based on accurate, speedy shooting... and hearing that steel ring is a ton of fun.

We should be able to make this one great event! We should be able to get some stuff in to serve lunch at a reasonable price right at the range.

Let me know what you think, and hope to see you all in September. If you have any questions or would like to get further involved with the match, please post in this thread or PM me.

And last but not least, a HUGE thank you to Doug C. for making this event possible!

S.A.

Edited by needknees

• 1 month later...

It's almost time for the Ames Steel Challenge!

A few more notes on the match.

Start time is 9am, I will be up at the range around 7:30 or so to get things going. Help setting up is never a bad thing... ;)

Registration fees are $20 per entry.

Bring lots of ammo. We should be able to shuffle plates around and get the whole 8 stage match in. It's 200 rounds if you don't miss - plan accordingly.

If anyone has questions or concerns let me know. See you on Saturday!

I can't make it but it would be nice if there was a map concerning how to get to the range.

(Just trying to help!)

FM

Good point, thanks!

The range is very easy to get to. Coming from I35, take the 13th Street exit (exit 113) and head west on 13th. Go past Zylstra Harley Davidson and down a hill - Stagecoach Rd. is on the north side right before a bridge. Follow Stagecoach Rd. North about a mile - the entrance to the Ikes is on the east side of the road. Follow the Ikes road up past the chapterhouse, the outdoor range is just a bit further down the road.

Here is a Google maps link to the range. You can plug your address in and get detailed directions.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&...&iwloc=addr

If anyone has further questions about the match or where the Ames Ikes is located please let me know.

Saturday's match went well! Turnout was a bit lower than expected but with all that's going on this time of year it's understandable. We had 19 entries overall and blasted a heck of a lot of steel. We were able to run all 8 stages - it was fun to have them set up with the proper plates at the proper distances... not just guessing and using random poppers ;).

Match results can be obtained through email. PM me if you're interested.

Thank you to all who made it out to shoot, and a HUGE thanks to Doug C. for making this match possible. Your time, proper steel, knowledge of course setup, and scorekeeping were very much appreciated. Thank you, Doug!

Hopefully we can put on another Steel Challenge match next year!