Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shoot different guns?

t0066jh

I am 65 and started shooting USPSA about 8 months ago. I am not very good, but I am having a whole lot of fun. What I have found in the past 8 months is that if I want to improve I need to pick a set of equipment and stick with it. Whenever I change guns, holster, mag carriers, etc. my performance goes down. Right now I am shooting my .45 acp trying to compete with a major caliber. I shot faster with the 9mm but I felt the minor load was holding me back. I am going to stick with the .45 for the next few months and see how it goes.

thanks,

George

I have, a SW627,327,>356TSW (Main Comp Gun) S&W625JM & S&W 1911 and shoot them all. I can keep up with some of the kids with the 8 shooters and do pretty good with the TSW but after shooting NRA and IHMSA seriously for years ans finally made 3rd in 89 in Calif. NRA. I decided that the fun had gone away. Now getting back into just shooting for fun at 59 I don't have the eyes or reflexes I'm only out here to enjoy playing with the Guys & Girls. But as the old saying goes "beware of the man with only one gun"

Chris O :roflol:

It may be the best to stick with one gun, but I find that I get bored. So I usually switch up at the end of the year when it gets cold at the end of the year. Practice with the new gun when there is nothing going on then shoot it when the new season starts. I think it helps me keep working at it or I would get bored and burnt out and quite. I did that once and it took me 10 years to get back to competitive shooting. So in that way it helps me to change it up once and a while. Then I always get back to limited where I am the strongest. I fiddled with singletack last year and I think it's going to be production this year. You revolver guys are tempting me though. I used to have a ball about 20 years ago shooting NRA action pistol with a revolver. Only thing is I can't count to 6. I don't know crap about shooting compared to a lot of the guys on this forum, but What ever you do make sure it's fun. That is the point after all.

I mainly shoot my Edge in Limited. However, I do shoot other guns occasionally when I want to work on something.

I shoot my revolver for a while when I want to work on my trigger manipulation. I'm always a little better with the short and light trigger on my Edge after I've shot the revolver for a little while.

I shoot my single stack for a while when I want to work on my mag changes. Shooting for that skinny 1911 mag well for a while really helps my mag changes when I go back to my STI widebody.

When I want to work on accuracy I just use my STI. I don't do this enough but it isn't really necessary to change guns to do this. However, shooting the revolver and single stack force you to be accurate or you will be doing standing reloads.

So, in the end, I do switch guns occasionally to help me with my focus on getting something done that needs help at the moment. However, I don't use them long enough that my muscle memory changes very much. But just enough to kick my brain into gear.

Chris