Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Benelli Parts?

Slow_Hand

I added the factory "Light Load" kit with the hopes of reliabily functioning tactical slugs. It did not seem to make any difference. I have found the gun functions all the time with 1 1/8 oz load and 3 dram equivalent (1200 fps). To add a little safety factor I use 1250 fps ammo for matches. I hand load Lyman 525 gr slugs to 1250. If I could only get my brain to function 100%, I'd be O.K.

Bill223:

This is a problem I am chasing as we speak...ah...er...type. When you say you can't get low recoil slugs 1200/1oz to run how are they hanging up? Is the shell not being lifted far enough by the lifter so that the shell hit right between the mag tube and the chamber?? or is it hitting off center of the chamber and hanging up on the right side of the chamber " throat"? I think I have a fix and it doesn't use the low power recoil spring thank god! I am going to try it on my gun today and if it works on mine it might on yours, IF it is hanging up in this fashion. Let me know!!! KURT

Slow Hand:

Your e-mail didn't come through. E-mail me through the forum e-mail service that seems to work! I can probable help with some of your Benelli problems! KURT

kurtm, The problem I've noticed is that the low recoil slugs do not completely cycle the bolt. There is about another 1/4" to 1/2" travel required. The new round does not appear to jam and if I manually complete the cycle of the bolt everything works.

Bill223:

This sounds like a mag spring problem. If the carrier is locking up with the shell still down on the carrier and not jaming on the "ramp" and a simple rack cures it, this may be the cause. Also check your carrier spring ( lifter) a weak one will also do that to. KURT

We have the Benelli as an issued weapon and they work 100% with the tactical slugs, that is until you start putting on the side saddles. What happens most of the time with the reduced power ammo is the bolt doesn't completely lock. If you let your bolt go forward by hand very slowly until it stops there will be a slight gap. You can push on the bolt handle all day long and it won't shut. When this occurrs with light loads the hammer will fall and lock the bolt, but the gun won't fire. The design of the gun is such that the bolt is designed to be the heaviest part of the gun. On recoil the whole gun must move first, the bolt head unlocks then the bolt moves rearward. If the gun can't move or the load doesn't have enough power it won't cycle correctly. Try this, put your back to a wall to eliminate all movement and fire the gun, there is a good chance it won't cycle and may leave the fired round half way in the chamber. Oh by the way this will hurt a little, but you will gain valuable knownedge of your gun. Very seldom will you see a guy with heavy loads have a problem with a Benelli

RKGSMITH:

In part you are right, The bolt, under recoil, wants to move forward (actually stay in place, as the gun moves back, seeing as it is so heavy) as the gun recoils rearward. This compresses the inertia spring which then forces the bolt to unlock the bolt head and sends the bolt to the rear. The more recoil the more energy to do these things, i.e. heavier loads. Bracing the stock against a immovable object doesn't allow the inertia spring to compress fully thus causing short cycling. Benelli calls the bolt what most would call the bolt carrier just so we are all on the same page. This is in the unlock and eject phase of the cycle. The feeding and bolt head locking are the next phase we will look at.

If a Benelli is opened enough to eject the empty and release a shell onto the carrier FULLY, it certainly has enough spring energy stored in the main spring (even the light spring) to feed and succesfuly lock the bolt head. 4 things can cause the malfunction you mention and none are related to "short stroke".

1: the cam pin is dry, or worn, or cracked ( I have only seen one cracked)

2: The locking lugs on the bolt head are dry, or they are hitting dirt left in the barrel extention where they lock ( best cleaned with a tooth brush and solvent and Q Tips) or are hitting an improperly machined extention ( had to clean up about 5 guns in this area so far.

3: The bolt is worn in the cam area where it initiates locking and is allowing the bolt to close too fast, instead of hesitating on the flat part of the cam area, causing the inertia spring to compress slightly and "bounce" the bolt back out of battery ( this took me almost a year to track down and figure out on my really worn Benelli).

4: the shell drags on the " throat area" or the sharp spot where the extractor cut is in the barrel causing the carrier to slow to much to lock into the extention.

I always lube the bolt head with a light oil on the inside of the bolt, and I use moly slide from NECO on the cam pin and cam surfaces and the locking lugs. I like to clean every 400 rounds or so and also lube the heck out of the bolt rails with J.P. Enterprises Red lube. I never take a clean shotgun to a match and like to get at least 50 rounds through it befor hand. This has to do with cycling AND patterning!!

The inertia spring doesn't "throw" the bolt back very forcefully with the lighter loads( as it doesn't compress as much as with heavy loads) and this is why ANY sort of bind in the mainspring tube to guide fit will cause short cycling. The spring guide/buffer assembly fits the main spring tube very tightly and can be slowed quite significantly by even a slight deflection of the main spring tube.

I have been told that Benellis will never run if they have over a 10 round extention or side saddle. I can't vouch for the side saddle, but once propperly balanced I can attest that a Benelli can in fact run just fine with a 12 shot extention with light trap loads! Making for a nice handy 14 shot "open" Shotgun