Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Consider everything in the walkthrough

Turtle

At this year's Summer Blast there was a stage (7, I believe) where the shooter had to retrieve the gun from a small (about 4"x10") drawer/slot. I didn't consider this start position to be noteworthy during my walkthrough so I concentrated on stage tactics, focus, footwork, etc..

After the beep, when I went for my gun I jambed my trigger finger on the top edge of the slot. This didn't feel good and my hand sprung back as if I just touched a hot stove! After my second and successful attempt to get the gun, I guess my finger wasn't working too well and I cranked my first shot into the berm next to the target (quite quickly, I might add). While attempting to process everything that had just happened (not intentionally, my brain just started going through things on it's own) I neglected to make up the miss! I ended up just a tad behind the pace on time but had to eat the miss that I clearly "knew" about.

I believe the moral of the story is to consider everything during the walkthrough, even things that seem innocuous or given. Also, (even though I pride myself on staying focused during distractions) do not let anything distract your subconscious from it's goal. I was startled by what happened and "got bit".

It's funny to see the video (I'll try to post it later) and see me pull my hand back as if there was an adder on top of my gun!

Edited by Turtle

Box got me too. I pulled my gun out and fired one round and my mag fell out. When I grabbed the gun, I hit the mag release just enough to move the mag but not drop it. The gun short stroked and FTEd. 9 seconds...... We shoot we learn.

Same thing happened to me in Ohio a few years ago. Gun started in a drawer with a cable lock on it the gun. I learned a valuable lesson that day.

The first lesson was to remove the lock before handling the gun. Trying to get the key in the lock while holding the gun is harder than doing it while the gun is laying there in stationary position.

Second lesson, the drawer will come completely out if you pull the draw too hard.

Great post!! It's all in the details.