Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Philmont Scout Ranch 2008

Pat Miles

My son and I have been involved with the Boy Scouts for seventeen years.He is an Eagle Scout with Palms. I earned my beads in '93, he in '99. We both are Vigil members in OA. We've been to the National Jamboree at A.P. Hill ('97), NOAC ('01) and everywhere else in between. The one Scouting adventure we have wanted to go on is a Philmont Trek. In seven days we will start that dream along with two other adults and eight boys. Our crew will cover eighty six miles in ten days with backpacks that will be 30% of our body weight. Mine will be between 55 and 60 pounds with the boys carrying less. We have had five tuneup backpackers in the last ten months. I've been in the gym for over a year, on my stair stepper at home and on my bike daily to prepare for this and now it's right around the corner. The kid? Let's just say he's a young animal. Our last day will be eight miles over the Tooth of Time. By the way, I'll be 60 in six months.

CYa,

Pat

Oh man, that brings back memories. I never made eagle, but I did go to Philmont. You will have the time of your lives. I think my pack weighed in at 75 lbs. 50% of my weight at the time, No problem. :D

Have fun, cherish the memories.