Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Video camera with remote

Thinking of setting up a camera downrange pointing at the shooter. Need one with

wireless remote. Doesn't have to be fancy, just on and off. That way I can set it up

during the walkthrough, trigger it for each shooters run, and not burn through the

batteries etc taking footage of people taping and setting.

Digital with removable media (SD, USB) would be nice, but a Mini DV tape unit is

probably more in the budget.

Suggestions?

Bill

I use the motion-sensor mode of my Casio F1, but that isn't an option on most camcorders-- my little Sony camcorder came with a remote, but the range is very short in the sun-- worth checking that before buying.

Thinking of setting up a camera downrange pointing at the shooter. Need one with

wireless remote. Doesn't have to be fancy, just on and off. That way I can set it up

during the walkthrough, trigger it for each shooters run, and not burn through the

batteries etc taking footage of people taping and setting.

Digital with removable media (SD, USB) would be nice, but a Mini DV tape unit is

probably more in the budget.

Suggestions?

Bill

Last summer we bought a JVC Everio MG130 while on vacation and it's worked really well. 30GB hard drive, takes SD cards, comes with a wireless remote and tripod etc. It'll hold from 7 to 37 hours depending on the setting. It's dark out, but I just did a quick test and the remote worked from 25yds with no problem. I'll try to give it a try tomorrow during the daytime and see how far it will work. I think we paid about $450 for it, but I'm sure similar models are less expensive now. R,

After searching for quite awhile, I decided to go with a Sony DCR-DVD 810 <--- click for features/specs

I chose it for simplicity and familiarity with Sony products. I like the multiple recording options... the internal memory can hold more than a match worth or, I can record to a mini DVD and pop it in a DVD player for viewing. I can also instantly select recorded video and dub it to a DVD on the spot. (So, if you're squadded with me and I get video of you, just ask me for a DVD of your match and *poof* it's done!) I haven't used the memory stick yet.

It comes with a remote, but like shred says, it can be finicky at distances or sunlight. I also like it's zoom capability and that it has audio zoom too. I helps weed out shots from another bay and focus on the shooter I'm videoing. I played with the remote for my Area 6 video. <--- click to view. Most of the pictures at the beginning were taken with the camera too.

The touch screen, image stabilization and night video features are cool too.