Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Do You Get An Adrenaline Rush While/after Shooting

Hello again folks,

Sam/Bonedaddy made this point in the thread on maintaining energy during a match. I think it deserves its own thread:

Sam said:

All of this dietary information is important. I like to go the high protien, low carb route. But, that's pretty much how I eat everyday, so it's easy. And I agree that hydration is an absolute must. But, here is something unrelated to nutrition that I've noticed about my own energy level.

Earlier this month I got up at 2:00 am and drove 5 hours to shoot one of my favorite matches. I shot 8 stages between 8:00am and 4:00 pm. Then drove 5 hours back home. My legs were starting to get a little weary by the last stage, but my shooting was still spot-on.

When I used to get all keyed up emotionally before and during a match, I would feel exhausted by mid-afternoon. I still get a little of the "first stage jitters", but nothing like I used to feel. For the last year or so, I just don't get all that concerned about trying to win. Winners are determined months in advance by their level of preparation. If you are fully prepared, you know exactly what you're capable of doing, and you just do it. No stress. No exhaustion. And it's way more fun!

We are shooters of all ages and levels of physical condition. The one common denominator that could make even the most well nourished and well rested of us feel tired, is the adreanaline crash. I used to be a real adreanaline junkie. (My wife says I've reached 44 without having a mid-life crisis because I didn't stop doing crazy s#!t till after I was 40.) There aren't too many things that make your limbs feel as heavy and slow as the "crash" that follows the adreanaline shakes. I'm betting that this is the energy drain that alot of competitors have to deal with later on in a match. If you think this description fits you, then you might want to give some thought to when you care about winning. What I'm saying is this: If you care enough to prepare, and understand how prepared you are, you won't need to fret about anything come match day. And without the adreanaline stirring around in your system, you shouldn't feel any more tired than after a day out plinking in the gravel pit with your buddies.

I think he has nailed it. By "trying to win" excess energy is used up. As opposed to being prepared to do your best and then "just doing it".

Any how my annual match is Thur/Fri. I have dry fired almost every morning for 6 months, with live firing once a week, (all my schedule allows). My ammo is loaded. The guns are cleaned and oiled. So with hydration and proper nutrition I am prepared to do my best and enjoy it to the fullest:)

Muchas gracias amigos,

San Joaquin Shootist

When we take too much time at the practice sessions, the MD walks up and tells us to "just relax, shut up, and SHOOT THE SOB!!!"

That's what I call an Ice Breaker that will get you to pay attention and also laugh at the nonsense of it all. IOW, just relax and shoot at the level you are capable of and ENJOY!

Your speed and proficeincy should be dealt with in/at practice, NOT in a match!

Just relax and shoot the SOB! :D

Y'all take care,

Glockn...