got glock

Gun Specs:

Caspian G34 Slide

Briley Barrel with 3 popple holes

Briley Comp

Vanek Trigger

Lightend Steel Striker

Doctor Sight Bevenized and Milled into slide

Homegrown Magwell which is all SS to meet IDPA rules. I use the same frame/trigger group for IDPA ESP.

In theory the slide assembly was built by a reputable gunsmith. Runs like a champ for him. Runs like a turd for me.

Ammo Specs: As I recall anyway, Hotels suck.

9MM Major loads

7.6 gr Silhouette

1.150 OAL (cant go longer with the glock mags)

Fed SP Primers

MG 124 HP Bullets

Produces 169-170 PF in gun

Mostly once fired Win brass

Lee dies all around Dillon 650 including FCD.

Mags:

Taylor Freelance +11 mags extension

Arrendo +6 mag extensions

Stock branny new mags.

Ok so now all of that is out of the way I can get onto the possessed part. The gun likes heavy springs. The current spring setup is a 17 lb recoil spring, stock trigger return spring and stock striker springs. All testing began with a 15 lb recoil spring as that is what the gun likes to fully return to battery, light striker spring and stock trigger return spring. All that I read on this wonderful site says the open guys are running as low as 11 lb recoil springs and hardly ever over 15 lb. Forget about the gun going into battery with a 13 lb spring. The methodology I used was simple function firing at an indoor range in my temporary hometown.

Here is a list of happenings and how I remedied them.

1. Bullet wont feed into chamber from taylor freelance magazine. The cartridge gets pinched by slide when the bullet is about halfway up the feedramp. The particular round did'nt seem to matter. Arrendo extensions are good. Stock mags are good. I thought that either the slide speed was too fast or the magazine feed was too slow so I installed a 17lb recoil spring and a 33 round magazine spring into the taylor freelance magazine. All seems to be good. I lose a round of capacity but I would rather have a dependable 27 than a iffy 28.

2. Getting light strikes. Worse with 15 lb recoil spring so I figured the gun was'nt going fully into battery. Switched to stock striker spring and 17 lb recoil spring. All is good.

3. Occasionally a empty round gets left in the chamber. I originally thought that maybe the slide was not traveling far enough to hit the ejector, but with the other problems I just changed to the only new extractor I had in my parts kit. A .40 non-LCI.

I also changed the extractor spring.

I function fired 50 or so rounds with no problems after re-springing.

FYI I had a real hard time making major with this gun. I think that the popple holes bleed WAY too much energy. I have tried HS-6, VV 350, Longshot, IMR something or the other. I would have to load .3 to .5 gr more than what seemed like the average everybody else was loading. The silhouette seems to make major easily for whatever reason. Little or no overpressure signs. While I am working up loads the 160 pf loads seem to be the limit as to when things start to get weird as far as the malfunctions go. The silhouette seems to work the best.

So I guess the question is am I just trying to fix the symptoms of a problem I don't know about such as barrel lockup etc. or do I just simply have a possessed gun? Are the popple holes bleeding too much energy and making me have to pound the gun to make major? I like the feel of the 15 lb springs and of course lighter trigger, but I will choose reliability anyday. I am about out of hypothesis to try. Any help is appreciated.

Hold on...going to jump off my roof.....

:goof:

Seriously. I need to re-read your post when I'm not sleepy. HOWEVER. I'll stab at it.

Ammo/barrel combo=iffy...short cycling is the result. Kind of sounds like you answered your own question.

Anybody?

Jim

G'day.

My G17 Open Gun Major 9 runs a 13lb flat wire Glockmeister recoil spring in a non captured lighteningstrike S/steel rod.

Stock striker spring with a Wolf heavy trigger spring and light striker safety spring.

4 port Ali comp on a EFK barrel.

Frame is a 2 pin FGR frame. C-more on a Siedler mount.

I had similar problems getting mine to run. Lowered the ejection port to 1mm above the serial number.

Running the LCI bearing with a Non-LCI extractor and an extended ejector by Dale Rhea via Bobby Carver.

Mine would light strike with the lighter wolf striker spring and the trigger wouldn't go all the way forward and the trigger safety would not work. I'm running a Ghost ultimate connector.

I had issues with leaving a case in the chamber when I was running lighter recoil springs, but now have no problems.

My major load is 6.8gr WSF with a 125gr coated lead loaded to 1.150 167 P/factor (chronoed).

The locking block angles on the 2 pin frame seems to be slightly different to the 3 pin frame. I have a G34 3 pin and if I swap topends with the G17, the barrel goes easliy into battery with the 11lb recoil spring.

I am waiting on a new 2 pin locking block at the moment.

Maybe try a new locking block?

As for mags. We are limited to 10 round mags here in Australia so I have no feed issues with mags.

Hope this helps.

Hooroo.

regards, Trevor

Australia.

P.S. I run a bore snake thru my barrel after each stage in a match just to be sure that there is no crud in the chamber.

Edited by Ausglock

You were right to switch to the stock firing pin for heavier strikes.

I think you had a mismatch on the slide speed vs mag speed when you used the Taylor mags. Your

33 mag spring solved that. Your slide speed must be pretty fast if you have to use 17lb springs.

I would try different profile bullets like the MG 124 CMJ to see if that helps feeding with your original setup.

I agree reliability is your first priority so you won't be bumed out thinking about that at every stage. Everytime that

happened to me I wanted to go back to limited but fortunately I solved all my open 9 problems. It's all trial and error

and every gun is different. You just have to keep shooting it and making changes along the way!

Good luck!