Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Need a "Dillon Whisperer"

Yet again, my 650 is crushing primers and/or not advancing the primer disc enough. This is not the first time this issue has raised its ugly head, but I've gone about a year now without a problem. On prior occasions I either replaced the disc or the primer indexing arm or springs or locator tab, which resolved the problem. Last time this came up, was about a year ago, and I cleaned and replaced everything.

While I cannot find my notes of my call with Dillon from last year, I thought that Dillon told me that the illustration of the wave washer, p.55 of the 650 manual, incorrectly showed the wave washer upside down, and that it actually should be opposite of that depicted. For the past year, I used the wave washer upside down from that pictured, and it ran like greased lightning. When I called Dillon this week, I was told that the diagram is correct. I have replaced everything on the primer assembly, all springs, all arms, etc..., and installed the washer as shown. It does not run now, but used to run when I installed the wave washer upside down.

Now, the press is, again, not advancing the primer disc enough, as if the top of the primer is touching or rubbing against the shellplate and causing the primer to move or to jam every few pulls on the handle. I do not know what to do. On the phone, Dillon tells me to take everything apart, clean and/or replace parts. In the past 2 weeks, I dis- and reassembled the primer assembly at least 20 times, and it keeps jamming. I've replaced all the parts and all the springs. Pulled out and cleaned the primer punch. Still jamming.

I had to buy ammo for the first time in years for the match last weekend. While phone calls are nice, I am unsure what Dillon can suggest other than to do exactly what I've done [repeatedly] or to send it in.

I guess this is more of a vent than a question. But, any suggestions? Anybody in CO want to come over an whisper at my 650? Cheers.

-br

You provide good champagne and I'll talk to it all night long....

As long as you fix it, you can talk alllllll night long. Taittinger or Dom Perignon? I've actually come to really like the various Roederer champagnes. Seriously, I'd buy a few [or several] quality bottles to get this issue fixed. I'll also check in with Ken == thanks Todd.

-br

Dillon Help

Crushed, sideways, upside down or improperly seated primers 1. It is important to be standing up rather than sitting down while operating the machine

a. the Dillon strong mount (part # 22051 or 22052) optimizes the machine's height for the best operation

2. Not pushing the handle fully forward or hard enough

a. make sure that full forward movement is not being blocked

3. Locator buttons are missing or are the wrong size

a. see the XL 650 instruction manual for the correct placement and size locator buttons for the caliber being loaded

4. Using the wrong size primer for the caliber being loaded

a. consult a loading or powder manual for the correct size primer for the desired caliber

b. large rifle primers are .008" taller than large pistol primers. Do not substitute

5. Primers were loaded upside down

a. consult the XL 650 instruction manual for the proper procedure for loading primers into the machine

6. Using large magazine tube (part #13510) for small primers

a. use the proper magazine tube for the primer size you are loading

7. Index ball (part # 13891) is stuck in a hole in the shellplate platform (part # 12796)

a. insert a small slotted screwdriver into the slot around the hole to remove the index ball 8. Not pausing in the neutral position prior to pushing forward to prime

a. pull the operating handle down all of the way. Bring the handle back up to the neutral position and pause one second (this allows everything to rotate into place) then push forward to prime

9. Shellplate is too loose

a. shellplate must turn freely, but not be too loose

b. tighten down the shellplate bolt all of the way, then back it out 1/16 of a turn. Now tighten the shellplate bolt set screw on the left side of the shaft to hold adjustment

10. Primer station locator tab (part #13242) is out of adjustment

a. adjust primer station locator tab so it is 10 thousandths of an inch from the case rim (about the thickness of a business card)

11. Military primer pocket needs swaging

a. use a swaging tool, such as the Dillon Super Swage 600, to modify the primer pocket to commercial specifications

12. If you are still having difficulty, please E-mail Dillon's Technical Support staff or call1-800-762-3845 or 480-948-8009

There is the company line.

My only 650 reloading experience is setting one up out of the box and having it run flawlessly.

You should have bought my 550.

"Now, the press is, again, not advancing the primer disc enough, as if the top of the primer is touching or rubbing against the shellplate and causing the primer to move or to jam every few pulls on the handle. I do not know what to do. On the phone, Dillon tells me to take everything apart, clean and/or replace parts. In the past 2 weeks, I dis- and reassembled the primer assembly at least 20 times, and it keeps jamming. I've replaced all the parts and all the springs. Pulled out and cleaned the primer punch. Still jamming."

I had a problem with the Dillon "Primer Seater" (the spring-loaded punch that pushes primers into the brass). From what I remembered, my friends had the same problem with a Dillon 650, and got a free replacement from Dillon. I was loading my ammo for a match recently, and the primers kept rubbing the bottom of the disc that holds all of the primers. Finally, it got so bad that the disc was starting to damage the anvil in the primers... I was able to remove the primer seater, remove the C-clip, remove the spring, and pound the thing apart with a punch. I found that there was a bunch of fine powder residue that was keeping the primer seater from fully retreating into it's housing. If the primer seater doesn't retreat all the way into it's housing, it will keep the primers too high, and they will catch the shell plate. Once I took it apart, cleaned all of the powder out of it, and reassembled it, my press is working like new. It is really difficult to take the primer seater apart, but once you clean it out, it should start working better. FYI, my friends tried to just soak the part to remove the gunk inside, but were unable to make it work. Only by taking it apart was I able to scrape out the powder that was crushed in the primer seater causing it to hang up.

Drink a Coors for me,

Chuck

Talked to Dillon again today, and they are sending a new primer punch assembly. Even though I did clean it out, Dillon said that once the spring weakens cleaning will not help, only replacement. We'll see if that helps. Thanks all.

-br

• 2 weeks later...

I had a problem with the primer wheel not advancing. Was driving me nuts.

Posted on here and BEnos said to make sure the assembly was cleaned and to lightly lube the inside if the wheel....like where the axel of the thing is located.

Have had no problems since!

:cheers:

Good luck.

I replaced the primer punch assembly, recleaned the entire primer assembly, again, and lubed the disc pin. The replacement indexing arm I received was bent upwards at an angle much greater than the other arms that I had, and would not rotate the disc. Replaced that with an older arm I had. Took apart and put together another half-dozen times. Still not fully indexing. I am sooooo pissed off.

Over the past several weeks I've put at least 20 hours just trying to get this thing to run, and I've got about 20 good rounds to show for my efforts. For those 20 rounds I had to manually move the primer disc at least half the time. I will call Dillon, YET AGAIN, tomorrow, and will see how serious they are about customer service and customer satisfaction. This is absolutely absurd. I am not happy. I will let you all know how Dillon responds to my request.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions, but I've reached the end of my rope with this.

-br

Edited by joker22

"I replaced the primer punch assembly, recleaned the entire primer assembly, again, and lubed the disc pin. "

I would take out the primer seater and see if the press will run smoothly, without crushing primers. Obviously, it won't be able to seat primers, but you'll immediately know if that is your hangup. If the press suddenly runs smoothly, have Dillon mail you a new primer seater (or two) and you should be all set. While you can manually clean the primer seater, you do have to completely disassemble the unit (requiring a hammer, punches, a clamp, etc.) and scrape out any old, compressed powder.

Good luck,

Chuck

Spoke with Dillon again this a.m. They were extremely responsive to my request. While I am frustrated with the state of my press, I am very satisfied with the response from Dillon. I will let you know how this all plays out. Cheers.

-br

Finally, it got so bad that the disc was starting to damage the anvil in the primers... I was able to remove the primer seater, remove the C-clip, remove the spring, and pound the thing apart with a punch. I found that there was a bunch of fine powder residue that was keeping the primer seater from fully retreating into it's housing.

I had exactly this same problem. It got progressively worse, until the plunger was gouging the underside of the primer disc. Soon after, it wouldn't allow the disc to turn without excessive force. Cleaning out the usual parts did not help. The plunger was simply resting "above flush" and impinging on the disc.

I know it's not orthodox, but I actually filed the whole plunger assembly flush, so that it now sits slightly below the primer disc. Perfect! I'm certain the plunger was protruding because of fouling in it, but it was actually easier to grind it down than disassemble it, and I now have a little "space" to allow for buildup. It just doesn't seem like it needs to ride the disc that tightly -- there is plenty of travel to seat the primers. I could be wrong.. we'll see.

If I had read chizzle's post before doing my thing, I'd have probably disassembled the spring post instead. It just looked dangerous in a "one remaining eyeball" kind of way.