Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Double Vision Sight Picture

kevin c

Other threads I have searched have touched on this, but I didn't quite get the answer to my question.

Like many "older athletes" I am farsighted, and have corrected my dominant eye to front sight distance, and my nondominant eye to infinity. With the fiber optic insert in my Limited gun, I find that I can get an approximation of a Open gun sight picture: dot floating over the target. The focus isn't as sharp, and the image is a bit "ghosty", but I like the fact that I can see the whole target rather that just what appears over the sights when I suppress the image from the nonaiming eye.

I think that on near and medium range targets I am shooting faster and as accurately this way as with the traditional sight picture I was first taught. I am a mere B class prole, though, and don't know whether this worth sticking to. I see Duane Thomas does something similar, but (correct me if I'm wrong, Duane) it seems that it's been a bit inconsistent/hard to maintain. I'd like to know if any other experienced shooters have had success with this technique, or whether I am ultimately limiting myself by pursuing this.

TIA :blink:

I tried this setup before, I'm near sighted- so I took out the prescription lense on the right eye and retained the left one. I had clear focus on the targets and relatively clear focus on the FS. It worked great for a few moments of dry fire...then I got sick and wanted to throw up. :( So I stopped.

If it works for you and your hitting targets (in the area you want to hit, of course) regardless of distance, then personally I think it's worth your while to explore it to your advantage. ;)

• 1 month later...
Like many "older athletes" I am farsighted, and have corrected my dominant eye to front sight distance, and my nondominant eye to infinity. With the fiber optic insert in my Limited gun, I find that I can get an approximation of a Open gun sight picture: dot floating over the target.

I use the same trick: far sight lense left eye, near scrip in right (dom) eye. I see a sharp image of the sights floating over a sharp image of the target. Sure is an advantage to see both ends in focus.

I tried this as well and found the same as mcoliver in that I started to feel nauseous and dizzy in a matter of minutes. My Optometrist said that he had struck people who could use this system but that others cannot cope with it. If it works for you it should prove to be an advantage.