Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

"mineral" spirits

mikeAZ

Have you guys never heard about Senacot leaves? I have this rule that I do not consume anything that can be used to propel vehicles or thins paint with the possible exception of Prickly pear Mampoer. (A distillation of the noble Prickly pear. A few glasses of this unique Eastern Cape drink and you could easily loose a week)

Don't ever hang a mineral spirits soaked rag from your pocket...you'll end up with nice, burning rash in a short time. Just trust me.

When I was a kid we had a paint room in our manufacturing business. We used Xylol as a paint thinner and cleaner degreaser for the prepainted parts.

Don't spill it on your CROTCH it SMARTS. :angry2: Don't ask how I know. :ph34r: Small boys have a tendency to spill things.

I have never heard of the Mineral Sprits thing before. However I do use it to clean my firearms. Works better than Hoppes #9 & cheaper too.

Hey guys,

This is my first post, and I'd like to apologize before hand. I just got a tumbler and will be buying a press soon, but I had a few questions after reading this thread. First off, I got the Dillon polish and walnut media, no fabric softener sheets or mineral oil to add to the batch. I'm at work, and I have the tumbler going right outside the office in the warehouse. There's a TON of ventilation because of what we do here anyway, so I figured I'd leave it out there. Will I need to re-tumble the brass if I add the sheet and the mineral spirit? I'm currently on the second batch, and will bring the sheets and stuff next week to work, but I'm not sure on what to do now. Secondly, I also noticed after the first batch, there was a slight film of something on the casings when I was done. Was this the polish? How do I get this stuff off, or do I need to even worry about it? And where can I get mineral spirits from? I have a body shop next door, and when I asked them, they looked at me like I was crazy...

Any help would be greatly appreciated, I've learned so much from this site and I'm still on my first day as a member. :cheers:

Jerry

For dust, I have filter on a box fan in my shop, and I actually pour my media back forth between two pans in front of the fan. I wear a respirator and latex gloves for this operation. The dust comes off and sticks to the filter. I do this after every load of brass.

I don't use mineral spirits, but I do use a couple capfulls of automotive antifreeze to charge a new batch of media, and another cap for each batch of shells. The water evaporates, the glycol keeps a tiny bit of liquid in the media, and the small fraction of anticorrosives and waterpump seal lubricants keeps my clean brass from tarnishing. We used a similar set of additiives at Remington (I worked there in the early 1980's) in the final wash and polish of brass prior to loading, and for the same reason.

Billski

Billski,

I do have coolant here, premixed, so can I add that with the shells in the tumbler?

Thanks in advance...

Jerry