Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

A Great Match

Duane Thomas

A bit of history, then we'll get into A Great Match I really liked.

Several years ago, a group of dedicated shooters started up an IDPA club in my area. Years go by, and the same handful of people have been doing it all, as far a running the club, coming up with stages, etc. Burn-out looms. So they do something incredibly sensible. They have a mondo SO training class, then turn over putting together and running matches to the new SOs. The New Guard guys are now the MD, the SOs, they're designing the stages.

It works great.

The Old Guard is still there to provide advice and support to the New Guard while getting a much needed chance to recharge their batteries and be "just shooters" for awhile. Rick Breneman, the club president, is still the "Take Charge of the New Shooters Every Match" guy. The New Guard brings in a great deal of enthusiasm. The new MD does a great job. The new SOs are coming up with great stages. Really, at the last two matches, there was only one stage (and we know which one that was, don't we, Tom) that would have been out of place at a state championships - they're that good.

So I'm out at an IDPA match this past Saturday. It's a kick-ass match. Almost all great stages. Tom Dean and I are on the same squad, he's firing his Para P14, I've got my .45 singlestack (same ol', same ol'). I didn't know - until the stats guys told me afterwards - that going into the last stage we were completely tied for first place. And I mean to the hundredths of a second. And on the last stage, Tom beats me by .02 second. And that's what he won the match by - 2/100ths of a second.

What a killer match. Great stages, great competition, every stage a battle back and forth, we never knew who'd come out ahead, it all came down to the wire. What a rush!

The only thing that would have been better is if I'd been the one to win by 2/100ths second. :P

He with the least amount of procedurals should win.

That would be YOU! You shot clean. :wub:

That was fun...for an IDPA (Interpersonal Donut Plunker Assoc.) match.

Seriously, we've got an outstanding group of match organizing folks here.

Cream of the crop.

I'm looking fwd again to the Wa. State Championships. http://waidpac03.home.attbi.com/wsidpac_main.html

Tom,

Thanks for the kind words, but I think the guy with the best score when it all shakes out should win. That would be you.

I saw you listed as UC in CDP on the final scoresheet. We have got to get you classed in CDP before the state champs. Could you shoot CDP with just your SSP classification? :unsure: