Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Major vs. Minor Reliability Issue

riden

Have just had a reliability job done by a reputable pistolsmith on a SVI 38 Super Open gun. Work included angle modification to barrel feedramp as well as some minor parts installed.

Gun was tested before returning with Major loads using all mags (these were all tuned as well) with no issues.

Smith stated that I should run rounds down to 1.245-1.250 OAL's and ensure crimp is at .377-.378.

Current Major reloads were at 1.264 using a 130-gr. bullet. So, ran loads back through press to push down to 1.250. (I know...increased case pressure!) Also recrimped to the smith's recommendation.

Couldn't run more than 10 rounds through without a failure to eject or feed last night. Took gun home, cleaned well, lubed, & removed the shock buff.

While testing further today, and after I ran out of the Major reloads, stuffed 2 mags full of Winchester/USA factory (130-gr. Minor rounds/155 PF). All went through with no issues in pretty rapid-fire fashion! Major loads ran better with only failures to eject.

Thoughts & advice from here?

A little more info on gun---Schuemann barrel w/Yanek-Infinity 6-port comp.

(Edited by riden at 9:47 pm on Jan. 11, 2003)

Riden,

Just a thought... what recoil spring are you using?  I would expect that you are running too light of a recoil spring for the major loads and it is cycling too fast since it was helped by you removing the shock buff.  Your major PF recoil spring would usually be on the heavy side for minor loads and would likely cause a few stove pipe jams (or the brass to barely get out of the gun) with the heavy comp.  I would increase your recoil spring a few pounds and try the major loads again before I tried anything else.  

Good luck,

Leo

Try loading some fresh rounds that aren't pushed back to a different length. Since you crimped them the first time seating the bullet again may have created a bulge which is causing your problem. Certain barrels have a tight chamber which the least amount of a bulge will play hell with reliability. The Lee FCD is a good investment in reliability.