Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Guys I have no idea what this is worth. I bought this for my wife as a birthday present about 12 years ago. Since she has passed I really don't have a use for it. I can barely take pictures with my camera phone. I know what we paid for it but being a film type camera and everyone going digital there may not be a lot of call for this.

The body is a Canon EOS Elan II E. I doubt she took 500 pictures with it but to be conservative I will say 1000.

The lense is a Tamron 28-200 telephoto lense.

I know that there are some professional photographers here as well as some very good non-professionals so I hope that I can get some help here. I eventually would like to sell this but I don't intend to give it away.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

Edited by DougBarnes101

Amazingly, eBay is actually a pretty good place to research this. Elan IIEs w/ a lens are generally selling for around $100. http://www.keh.com pretty much confirms this, as well. The body by itself doesn't sell for more than $50.

Unfortunately, film is basically dead in the small format arena...

Lenses will not work on digital cameras.....

Um. Flat out WRONG. I'm using the same 50/1.4 and 70-200/2.8 I've used on every single Canon camera I've owned - that list is: Elan IIe, EOS-3, 10D, 30D, 1D MkIII.

Lenses will not work on digital cameras.....

Um. Flat out WRONG. I'm using the same 50/1.4 and 70-200/2.8 I've used on every single Canon camera I've owned - that list is: Elan IIe, EOS-3, 10D, 30D, 1D MkIII.

I bow to your superior knowledge.....however...."Flat out wrong"....?

If the lenses are from Canon and have EF mount they will work, if its FD mount, they wont work.

Canon SLRs (film or digital) made since around 1988 all use the EF type lens mount. So anything that says "Canon EF lens..." will fit and work fine on an EOS body ot that type of mount . Earlier mounts such as FD won't. Some aftermarket lenses are also compatible with only certain modes and will not enable some camera features when used on some cameras.

I bow to your superior knowledge.....however...."Flat out wrong"....?

Yes. Flat out. The Elan-IIe is an auto-focus camera (including eye directed focus, thus the little "e"), and therefore an EF mount camera. Any lens that works on that camera will work on any of Canon's digital SLRs.

Some aftermarket lenses are also compatible with only certain modes and will not enable some camera features when used on some cameras.

And in these cases, the lens still works - but certain workarounds may need to be taken. However, I've not ever heard of an issues w/ older Tamron lenses and newer cameras. Sigma, yes. Tamron, no.

And the reverse is also not true - cameras with an EF-S mount (the last three generations of 1.6x crop factor dSLRs) can use lenses that are not backwards compatible with EF mount cameras. Don't forget that one.

Everyone,

Thanks for your help on this! I did look at ebay and it seems that 100.00 is about what they are going for. If that is all I can get I will probably hold on to it. May look into a digital body and put this lens on it. I knew film stuff had went down in value but didn't realize it had went down that much. Again thanks to everyone.

I feel your pain. I bought my wife a Nikon N75 when it first came out and paid a pretty penny. Now, it sits in a camera bag on the shelf. I took it to a used camera store about a year ago and the guy directed my attention to the hundreds of film bodies on the shelves behind him. He didn't even want mine.

Gary