Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

OPEN sub gun

mikeAZ

Anyone shoot an open sub gun? Looking for someone who has any actual knowledge of the M-11 StoneyCreek/Soumi mag conversions before I spend a bunch of $$$$.

Edited by mike NM

Anyone shoot an open sub gun? Looking for someone who has any actual knowledge of the M-11 StoneyCreek/Soumi mag conversions before I spend a bunch of $$$$.

WOW, not a kind word!!, got lot's of replys from another site... I'll keep my $$$$. Yes, I have a C-More, 50 round mags , several 71 round drums... Even have a holster that covers the trigger guard? I could BE a GM if I didn't miss so much, so fast? (I'm working on missing EVEN faster!!, this should do IT!!)) I think the 50 round mags will fit the guage?, the drum isn't that big?? a little work needed...., ain't it fun???

All I wanted was a little info on a vendor...I know full-auto is a no,no in USPSA, good Lord we would have 300 round stages that are 8 round friendly, and where would we get all that tape! Guess humor is forbiden here??? I got all the info I need, so a moderator can delete this post and you guys can sleep tight tonite! NOT to get anyone's interest peaked but the 50 round Soumi "Coffin"mag is a quad stack and it is 9mm..... will it fit the guage?(I won't tell) + they only run about $50.00.

Edited by mike NM

The only subgun matches I've shot are divided by: open (bolt), closed (bolt), with optics, no optics...all pistol calibers (being SUBguns)

I mostly shoot closed bolt w/ optics....sometimes without.

there are a bunch of subgunners on hkpro.com and some don't always shoot HK's B)

???

As you may have heard, Stony Creek has a number of unhappy paying customers that have not received their merchandise. If you can find an upper on the secondary market, go for it. Be aware that there were some issues with this unit needing a replacement sear, and even then there have been reports of egging out the takedown pin holes.

Most people seem pretty happy with Richard Lage's MAX-11 upper. You are still limited to "standard" magazines, but you can get multiple stick mags welded together for a reliable high-cap mag. (I have a 58-round mag for my M11). No, they won't make the gauge, but as noted you can't use them in USPSA pistol competition anyway.

I've been running a TASK-style slowfire conversion in competition on my M11 since before the Lage unit came out. There are several matches around the country if you look. I believe there are monthly matches in S. Florida, Phoenix, and Vegas, and possibly Boise and Albany, OR. There are also a number of annual or semi-annual matches. The Knob Creek, KY shoot is every spring and fall and features a subgun match. There has been a match in western NE for the past few years (held this past weekend), and we just finished the Indiana State Subgun Championship (ISSMC) two weekends ago.

Rules vary by match. Some have Iron Sight and Optics divisions. Some also further divide by Open Bolt and Closed Bolt. Others have Classic, Open, Modern, and Thompson-Only divisions.

Here's a couple of pictures from ISSMC a few years ago, shooting an M11 in Open, and a MAC10 in Modern.

DSC02162.jpgISSMC2004cropped040.jpg

Stage round counts are generally higher than in USPSA (60+ targets on a stage, with "heavy" poppers that take a burst of full-auto fire to take down).

Given the choice, I'd shoot a subgun match over USPSA, and USPSA over anything else.

I have shot my subguns in USPSA carbine matches before (on semi-auto) with good results.

If you want a big mag that will "beat" the gauge, try building an AR15/9mm pistol and use a 100-rd. Beta mag. It fits the gauge easily. The gun will be awkward and not very fast. I don't think you will gain anything over a "traditional" USPSA racegun, even though you will never have to do a reload on a field course.