Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.38 special

TheOtherErik

Im looking to work up some loads for my 38 special that are really soft shooting.  I prefer the 125gr fp. They need to be around 800-850 fps. I'd also like to use Vv powder.  I have lots of n320 and n350. I also have quite a bit of Clays and Win WST. I also have a bit of AA2 improved that I'd like to use up.  Most of the data I found puts the velocity at well over 950fps.

I use the following, play with them and work out what you want. I use a 6" 686.

148gr HBWC.

2.65gr HP38 (Win 231) = 720fps

3.2gr Clays = 784fps

2.7gr Win WST = 760fps

2.8gr Titegroup = 770fps

3.0gr V V N320 = 800fps

148gr DEWC. Seated 3mm 1/8" below case mouth.

1.8gr WST = 600fps

122gr FP, Really a 9mm bullet but they cast .358 and we size .357. Minimal crimp, seat as short as allowable depending on bullet design, short nosed flatpoints seem? to work best.

2.8gr Titegroup = 740fps.

2.9gr WST = 735fps.

3.0gr Bullseye = 760fps.

2.9gr V V N320 = 720fps.

100gr FP. As above.

3.0gr Titegroup = 800fps

2.5gr WST = 700fps

HAve fun. BE CAREFUL

Thanks for the info guys... Im going to try some of the loads you suggested and see what I like best.  I have a ruger GP100 6'' that I will be using in a indoor PPC league. I also wanted a load that is soft for my wife to shoot, yet fast enough for the bullet exit the barrel. I don't own a .22

Eric,

For the purpose that you nominate you could drop your velocity down to 700-750 fps. Many Centre-fire shooters in ISSF operate on these velocities. Accuracy is excellent and recoil is comparable with a 22. Try 3 grains of WST. I think your wife will love it.

Guest Dick W Holliday

load a few and check them....i've tired really light loads and seems like i sometimes get varying velocities and lots of unburned powder....and a revolver and unburned powder don't go together well.......Dick

almost forgot.....lots of unburned powder with AA#2

(Edited by Dick W Holliday at 2:58 pm on Jan. 17, 2003)