Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Guns For Production

SimonM

I use the standard sights on my G17. I don't think they're that bad.

Actually, they are that bad. As you improve in skill - or ever before - you'll want something nicer. The sight picture on the stock plastic Glock sights is extremely cramped, and the sights are lacking in durability. Fire your Glock much and it's just a matter of time before those soft plastic sights, front or rear, depart the gun at high speed.

Well, since everybody keeps on saying that, they (and you) are probably right.

I have the G17 for 6 months only, and haven't fired more than some 3-4 thousand rounds with it.

We'll see ! :-)

Best Regards,

Arvid

Steve,

Actually the Stcok model is a DA/SA gun. To shoot the first round in DA mode you'll have to lower the hammer with your thumb, just like if using a revo. I have handled a Combat model and also a Billenium. While I didn't care for the Combat, I sure LIKED the Billenium! I envy you for that... BTW, how much did it cost you? The price was the thing that kept me from getting one. Here in Finland they're asking about 2800 euros or so for it. The Stock is about 1250 euros. I know, I know, these prices got you guys feeling sick, but that's the way it is around here.

The Stock is kind of like that Combat model with that shorter barrel, but with a DA/sa trigger. And the Stock doesn't have those hideously high adjustable sight, which is mounted on the Combat model. I'm kind of disappointed now, that I missed the opportunity to shoot that Combat; I guess that would have given me some idea how the stock would handle. The only major difference between the two guns would probably be trigger. Since it's a single action only- trigger in a Combat and it's porbably more like the 92FS Beretta in the Stock. I'm kind of worried how's the reset in DA/SA models in SA mode, meaning how easy/difficult it is to shoot fast splits compared to using a 1911 for example. I've read that the speedpumb (or what's it called) helps, but that modification isn't allowed in production.

While you guys don't usually have access to the Stock 92, we here in Europe (as far as I know) can't get our hands on Elite or Elite II. I guess a Brigadier model with a proper set of springs and some skatetape would get me pretty close to those models.

Simon

The brigadier would get you everything but the target crown, front/backstrap checkering and all black sights.

There may be some other details but those are the biggies. the brig does have the removeable front sight that the reg. 92 lacks.

A used Brig would be ideal...

SA

• 2 weeks later...

Para LDA or Beretta 92. Both are my ideal gun for Production. I am not a fan of my G22 for production. Sights suck and recoil(even with minor loads) is more than with heavier guns like the LDA or 92. TXAG B)

The two guns I've been thinking about are Beretta 92FS and SIG P226. The SIG could be had with a steelframe, but from what I remember it sits a little higher in the hand than the Beretta. Durability of the two guns is also a bit of a concern and I'd also like to know whether there's any difference in the trigger reset. That's one thing I like about a Glock is that it's quite easy to shoot quickly with that "safe action" trigger.

Simon,

You asked about the durability of the SIG P226. My 226 was my first gun ever. I love it. It has 500K+ rounds through it, I think, probably more. Alex and I sat down one day to figure it, but I can't remember how many exactly. It has an aluminium frame and a nickel-coated steel upper. The only malfunction it has ever had was caused by a bad primer in factory 9mm from CCI. Otherwise, that gun has functioned flawlessly. I wouldn't trade it for love or money. It was my first IPSC gun and I occasionally contemplate pulling it out for a match. I switched to a Para because they are easier to shoot and the lighter recoil made reacquiring the sights quicker. My Para is a brick in weight compared to my SIG. It does sit a little higher in my hand, but I adjusted easily to it. The DA trigger in the SIG is smooooth. I have yet to find another DA trigger that smooth. It does literally surprise you when the it fires. The DA and SA trigger pulls are also extremely consistent, even after seven years and 500K+ rounds.

The SIG is well worth the money.

Liota

I currently use the Glock 35 for all competition shooting. I have several loads for whatever PF I need. I have not noticed a problem with the sights rot he trigger. My 11 yr old daughter also has started shooting the gun with no problems. I also own the 17, 19 and a 34. I do not use them much.

I am toying with the idea of going to a LDA in 9mm or 38 super if I can find one. I used one in a match and liked the trigger on it. I recently purchased an STI Edge, but have not shot it yet. I prefer the limited division for most shoooting.

My 35 has a about 70,000 rounds through it and I put a new BarSto barrel in early this year. I have been very happy with it. Now I have a gun truly capable of shooting 1.5" groups at 50 yds.

Mike4045

I've often commented that if I could start over (after 20years) shooting the practical sports, I'd get a G34/35 and shoot it until I could get half as good as Armando Valdez. Several of the old timers down here are jumping into the Production classes with the Glocks (and a couple of XD's), cause many of them carry the black guns. For someone not into reloading the G34 would be an option as the 9mm ammo is quite reasonable, but since it can shoot Production (althought scored minor) , Limited, Limited10, and major for most 3gun events I would suggest a G35 in .40SW. You do need to change the sights (unless you are Armando... he just puts the big white dot on the target and shoots a lot of "A"s), I like the Heinie fixed... as they give a "BoMar" sight picture, and the factory pair are pretty close on elevation, I've added a full length recoil guide rod to provide a good shoulder for the spring to barrel link...If you like to play with sights, a bar stock slide from Gary Smith at Caspian, and somebody's aftermarket barrel are about all you can spend your money on.... regards Les

• 1 month later...

Here in the Philippines, the most popular pistols used in Production Division are the CZ's and CZ clones followed by the Glock, Beretta, HK, and Para LDA.

(CZ75/85, Jericho 941, Tanfoglio, Bul Storm, Glock, Beretta, Bul Storm, Bernardelli, Para-Ord LDA, HK, Walther P99, and Sig)

Be sure to try the CZ and Para-Ord LDA before you decide on what pistol to get.

B)

• 13 years later...