Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CZ & EAA Witness

warpspeed

I was wondering.

I have seen several references to the CZ clone guns and the EAA / Tanfoglio being one of them.

In California, the EAA is not on "The List" but the CZ75 is. Are they the same ? Do they use the same mags ?

I have a bunch of P9 mags that I think will fit the CZ. Will they fit the EAA as well ?

TIA

Same basic shape and ergos - but that is about it. EAA is just the US importer of Tanfoglio guns.

So the internals are different as in can't swap between ?

Correct, they are quite different. Some slide stops seem to be interchangable between certain CZ and TF models, but if you look, for instance, at the hammer springs, you'll notice completely different designs.

Well, these are all just "75s" - just as the number "1911" refers to a common design even if not all parts interchange or even have the same caliber.

Generally,:

-CZs use smaller diameter pins for the trigger and extractor. Some other pins might not interchange. Mag catch holes are in slightly different location - but some mags might interchange. Best get the Mec-Gar mag (or factory mag) intended for your particular 75.

-Tanfoglio and most of the other makers of the 75, use a different system to tension the trigger & hold the mag catch in place. They also use a different type of detent on the safety. Most use roll-pins in place of CZ's solid pins.

The 75s are all extremely strong guns that, like custom 1911s and 2011s, can withstand USPSA and IPSC major ammo that would reduce many other designs to piles of broken parts.

Edited by Carlos

A couple of additional differences that I noticed:

Tanfoglio uses lesser steel on their sears and hammers, they are porous and rough. They can be replaced with EGW parts.

CZ uses a 1911 style mainspring that runs all the way down the backstrap. Some of the newer Tanfoglios use a much shorter spring that hides in the frame itself, making it a real pain to replace or adjust the weight of the spring.

Tanfoglio has really nice safeties, much wider and longer.

For me, the CZ's have a tighter hammer mechanism, much crisper.

Unless you get the competition models, they will both need a trigger job and parts replaced.

Well, these are all just "75s" - just as the number "1911" refers to a common design even if not all parts interchange or even have the same caliber.

Generally,:

-CZs use smaller diameter pins for the trigger and extractor. Some other pins might not interchange. Mag catch holes are in slightly different location - but some mags might interchange. Best get the Mec-Gar mag (or factory mag) intended for your particular 75.

-Tanfoglio and most of the other makers of the 75, use a different system to tension the trigger & hold the mag catch in place. They also use a different type of detent on the safety. Most use roll-pins in place of CZ's solid pins.

The 75s are all extremely strong guns that, like custom 1911s and 2011s, can withstand USPSA and IPSC major ammo that would reduce many other designs to piles of broken parts.

The CZ that I own uses role pins, not solid pins. The EAA actually uses thicker pins, they look like a rolled up piece of paper. The EAA pins seem to last longer, remove the CZ trigger pin many times and it will walk out of the hole. I find the EAA role pins seem to last longer.

Both my EAA and CZ use the same type of spring for the trigger, just different sizes. My CZ is a model 75, so I can't speak for other models.

The EAA Witness Match is a very stout build gun, the sights and the mags both need work however. EAA Witness now being imported into the USA or build on large frames only.

The CZ 75 serious has a smaller dovetail than the EAA Large frame gun. That being said I belive the SP or SA CZ 75 have a larger dovetail than the standard CZ 75 models.

I find that both my CZ and EAA or very solid built guns and just need a little smoothing out and better sights.