Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Broken yoke screw on PC 627

HighVelocity

Yesterday at a match, when I went for a reload, I pushed the yoke past the retaining screw (side plate screw in front of trigger) and the cylinder wouldn't close. :surprise::angry2:

Upon inspection, the little spring loaded detent on the end of the screw actually came out of the screw. I was able to put it back together and finish the match but had to be extremely careful not to push on the cylinder during reloads. Talk about slow... :rolleyes:

I called S&W and they seemed quite surprised when I told them it was a PC gun and said they'd send TWO replacements immediately. Free of course. S&W CS has always been good to me.

So in the interest of fixing instead of patching, is there something else that could cause this or is it most likely just a bad yoke screw? The gun has several thousand rounds of 38spl through it and has been trouble free up til now. I plan on using it in a match next Sunday so I want it fixed permanently.

Thanks,

Gary

I kind of had this problem once on a used N frame, first time I did a speed reload the cylinder popped forward,

I replaced the yoke screw and it's was fine after that.

Probably make sure the new screw dosen't contact the yoke or bind up the swing at all. (had this happen with

another N frame)

The screws have held up well in my 627's, so much that I just this morning sent off my 1st 627 8 shot for a new

yoke to be fit, broke the old one clean thru :blush: that gun's had a ton of hard speed loadings for PSA falling steel

and the screw has held up since the gun was new.

Replace the screw, try it, then try the other screw. If they both work leave the other one in your spare parts kit.

Good luck.

High Velocity you might want to checkout this thread Yoke damage Couple of scenarios were described. 10mmdave has posted some good advice. latter rdd

Thanks for the replies fella's. I tried the "staple trick" as described in the aboved linked thread and it works great!! It took a couple of tries to get the perfect length on the staple but it worked like a charm. Reloading with excessive agression wouldn't even budge the yoke out of place.

Thanks! :cheers:

Gary

Edited by HighVelocity