Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shooting IPSC rifle

shoot

I am setting up my AR for some rifle Ipsc fun out to about 200.

Here is the question and just wondering who is running say a 3-9x 40mm Leopold verses say dot optics like a halo eotech etc.

Do most run and gun on the close targets aiming down the barrel at center then get quick accurate shots off for the 200 or 300 targets.

I have a bushmaster predator (20" bbl) flat top... should I stick my eotech dot or my 3-9x leopold

Club likes 5" targets out at 200-300 ... they sure look small through a dot but I could get use to anything with practice.

I run a Burris 1x4 XTR-14 on a Larue SPR-E. I use the second hash mark on the reticle for the up close stuff. I don't know but it sure seems that if you don't have some kind of adjustable power scope you really lose out on the long shots. 5 inches out at 200-300 yards is pretty small. Key thing is to get something that will work for you. Don't get something because everyone else is using it.

Good luck in your quest. It might take a while.

Chris C.

Edited by Chris Conley

5" targets @ 200 and beyond for iron sights is pretty much, luck. apparently your local club is trying to do away with iron sight division. normal size targets for major matches tend to be 6" @ 100, 8-10 @ 200, and 10-12 @ 300.

trapr

Who's comign up wiht thees stage designs? Does the Match Diretctor have a grudge against iron sighted shooters? WTH? :angry2:

Definately go with the 3 to 9 scope for that long stuff. Just be carefull thuogh cuz your zero might change zomming in from like 9 power down to 3. Yuo have given the scope the box test, havent you? once you strat out with the 3 to 9 scope it has to stay on your gun and theres no changing to the haolosight either or to another gun. so you have alredy shot at these 5" plates at 200 yards alreedy and you're used to it with the eotehc, then stick with the eotech then. i guess you could mount the eotech to the forearm quadraail and call it open division.

Edited by persona non grata

I feel that a 3X9 is way too much scope for the normal 3 gun match. There are lots of scopes out there in the 1X4 or so range which will work much better for all of the different distances that we have to play with. You may also want to check into a 3X multiplier for your Eotech. The cool thing about 3 gunning, is there really isn't a "best" way to do it. Different things work for different people. You will have to figure out what works for you, but remember, with a scope that has a minimum power of 3, you may spend time searching for those close targets, and that clock is running!

I feel that a 3X9 is way too much scope for the normal 3 gun match

+1

Out to 100, a red-dot is more than enough.

100-200, 4x is more than you'll probably want (narrow field of view will slow you down).

A good 1-4 is a really good choice for the ranges you're talking about.

B

I stuck an old but goodie leopold 3-9x40 on it last night and did some 100 yard box testing. Leo's are great.

On stage design ... heck I just shoot and live in awe of fast rifles on a COF. I know you guys love it too but it's an art that has many techniques.

It seems to me so far that rifles with Iron sights, dots, scopes have nuisances in technique that must almost mirror the match directors who just like iron in rifle or revolver in pistol it can be a cruel advantage that gets shooters rightfully upset. When in Rome do as ... Cesar ?

Question: 3-9 scope on the close targets I think they are running it instinct. That was one of my primary questions.. if I should just practice 20yards in point shooting with the smoke and hope technique.

Like I said seems one has to figure what he wants. I have a distinct advantage in that I have no delusions of my skill and will bang my head against a weakness until it becomes a strength. There isn't much out there on techniques and drills for ipsc rifle. Any suggestions on some good reading or DVD's ?

I'm going to go talk to a mentor that will help me.

I'm thinking about picking up a Leo VX-II 1-4 or one of the new Mark 4 1-4's .... I just don't want to want something else to compete later at different clubs. Iron sights rifle is out for me because of my eyes and skill level.

My club has 600yard range and they shoot regular out to 300 so the game seems to be optics.

1-4 sure sounds like a good middle ground but 3-9 seems to be what the matches are getting set up for if you know what I mean.

Don't go for the "smoke and hope" plan. It will fail. Check out the new Burris XTR 1X4 with a 223 BDC in it. You have to be able to turn that scope down to 1X and shoot two eyes open on the close hoser targets. 4X will get you on plates at 300-400. If they have small plates at longer distances, take your shots and move on. Don't spend all day trying to hit a little target. Shoot and move on. If you want to see some examples, go look at the long range stage at the 07 Benning match. I took way to long trying to hit the long target. My plan was to move on, but dang it, it's right there, I knew I'd hit it with the next shot. 30 secs later I'm moving on and still eating the miss! :P

I'm going to go check out a few 1-4's and find something that I can get use to quickly.

Your right about 3x being too much as one has to call the shot and move on.

I think the only choice for me is a halo dot or a 1-4. May as well make the jump now.

Thanks for the help. I've made up my mind to go 1-4 ... just have to find a good deal on something I won't want to replace too soon that I can grow into.

Edited by shoot