Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Load for S&W M&P 40 need help

RickyH

Any particular powder in mind? My current 40 major load that I find acceptable in my M&P 40 is with 4.2 GR of Ramshot Zip and 180 GR TC. OAL 1.120 FPS = PF169. It meters easy as graphite through my 550 and burns pretty clean in comparison to what I have experimented with so far.

ETA I am also using this load now with Win MSP primers, and have used Magtech SP primers as well...the difference in FPS was negligible.

Edited by ChrisStock

Any particular powder in mind? My current 40 major load that I find acceptable in my M&P 40 is with 4.2 GR of Ramshot Zip and 180 GR TC. OAL 1.120 FPS = PF169. It meters easy as graphite through my 550 and burns pretty clean in comparison to what I have experimented with so far.

ETA I am also using this load now with Win MSP primers, and have used Magtech SP primers as well...the difference in FPS was negligible.

180gan montana gold vvn320 4.8gr it was flating the primers OAL-1.125 PF163

Edited by RickyH

Titegroup at 4.7gr with berrys 180gr FPRN double struck. Made about 170, recoil was harsh, and accuracy was not so good (sweet spot semed to be between 140 and 156pf). Nominal OAL was 1.33. Primer was starting to flatten too, but in line with what I've seen in factory ammo. Might be worth trying with jacketed.

I also made a univeral clays major load. IIRC it was 5.0 grand made about 166pf using 180 grain berrys. It FELT nice, but I only put this here to save folks time. Accuracy was horrific and SDs were high 20s. OAL 1.130.

My conclusion is berry's plated do NOT like to make major in the M&P, and I need to try a powder a wee bit faster burning than UC, and slower than TG. I'm pretty sure I'm going to order some ramshot ZIP and give it a try.