Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

ACOG TA-33

I normally shoot a TA-11, my choice based on numerous suggestions on this forum. I love the scope. Put together a backup rifle and wanted a scope on it so thought I would give the TA-33 a shot. A little less expensive and smaller, so I thought it would be a good choice for a backup rifle.

I have had this set up for two days now, got it sighted in and shot my first competition with it yesterday, then took it to the range again today to play with it some more. I have to say this little scope is nice. I had to move it farther down the rail because the eye relief was better than I expected. The FOV is smaller than that of the TA-11 but the scope is also smaller making close range target transitions just as fast, if not faster that the TA-11. The chevron reticle took a little getting used to versus the donut on the TA-11. The FOV doesn't seem to hinder targets at longer range as long as you shoot with both eyes open.

The TA-11 is 3.5 power and the TA-33 is 3 power. Both have great glass and the fiber optic BAC works great for my eyes. I shot it today on an MGM flash target out to 400 yrds. and the BDC was just right when sighted in using 55 grn FMJ Hornady Training ammo. I didn't shoot any longer range than that, but was happy to see it work as well it did.

I have only seen this scope on one other rifle while shooting 3-gun. Curt (sorry I can't remember the last name), a Rep for Trijicon shot one at the '07 RM3G. He shot that match extremely well, even though he had to take 300-450 yrd. shots from sitting positions rather than prone because of an injury.

I guess I just threw this out there as another option for a good 3-gun scope. It is at least worth taking a look at.

Edited by Brian Payne

Kurt and Trapr.

Thanks for the reply. Yes CurtM was the guy. Sure can shoot.

Kurt - hope the back is ok and that you can make it to CMMG.

Trapr - If you are shooting HM at CMMG, I have a thigh pouch for .308 mags made by 3gungear you can have if you want it. I need some "good karma" coming my way.