Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Reloading for 9mm production

Alma Cole

Is there a good place to go to get 9mm production class loading data? I want to start reloading for my glock 34 and I think the 147 berry's is the way to go. The only problem I have been running into with that is the Universal powder I have been using says 3.3 grains is the max and That doesn't seem to run my gun. I trued some 3.5 grain loads and it still seems just a bit weak. Should I try a different powder or just increase the to 3.6 or 3.7 grains (one manual I found says that 3.7 is the max while the other says that 3.3 is the max)?

Any help would be greatly appreaciated.

Alma Cole (alma@cc.usu.edu)

A lot of the reloading data in manuals is not accurate as to a max charge for legal reasons. I suggest you chrono your loads before increasing the charge too much though.

I pesonally use VV 340 for 9mm. I believe it was 5.3 grains behind a 124 gr. West Coast bullet. This gave me a PF of 138. Yes it seems high but I never had a problem with poppers not falling or not making minor;).

Alma, I shoot a 9 mm CZ-75 in Production.   I'm really having good results with 3.8 gr of Tite-Group under a 124 grain cast round nose.  (And Tite-Group is cheap.) Typically lead bullets, or copper coated ones like the Berry's, are softer and don't run the pressure up as quickly as a jacketed bullet of the same weight.  Sometimes the reloading manuals have different data for lead bullet loads.  I've shot thousands of Berry's and have always had good results.

Since we are forced to shoot minor in Production anyway, I don't load above 130 power factor.   There is the option of a lighter recoil spring to help the gun function better with lighter loads. BTW, have you checked Hodgedon Powder's web site for data?  

Try the following.

135gr FMJ.

Win 231. Start - 4.2gr=1000fps, Max - 5.1gr 1100fps

Win WSF. Start - 4.5gr = 950fps, Max - 5.1gr 1050fps

Universal Clays - 4.2gr = 950fps, MAx - 5.6gr 1150fps. Caution this is really hot.

Lead 147gr.

Win WSF 3.7gr = 900 fps, Max 4.1gr = 960fps (141pf)

I personally run a 121gr Zero with 4.5grains of Uni Clays at around 1150fps = 133pf. Works gun fine, if yours works on Winchester 115gr Silver Tip and not on any of the above I would suggest that you fire a couple of hundred 115gr fmj factory ammo to loosen it up a bit. Then start over.

135s are better than 124s, 147s are better than 135s, for me.

(Glocks don't like sissy loads, BTW. It offends their tactical nature )

My current fave load is 3.3 titegroup under a 147 at 1.14

Bump it up till the gun works 100%. Use the lightest recoil spring you can find. My berettas will cycle anything, so I play at the low end.

Flex compared my load to winchester white box 115 and noticed a big difference.

Downside: titegroup is dirty at low pressures. I'm playing with powder to try to do even better. Always.

Also, at the same PF, I feel heavy bullets take care of steel better than light bullets.

SA

Alma,

I tried loading for my Glock 17, and had trouble getting any reloads to work, either mine or those from a local commercial reloader. My failures were failures to eject, like the ammo was low powered or the cases were sticking. "New" ammo (unfired brass) from that same reloader ran fine (2500 rounds, NO problems).

Ditto on the "Glocks don't like sissy loads". With my loads (WSP primer, Win 231), I ran the powder beyond the max charge in Winchester's book, but less than max in Hornady's. Functioning returned! Recoil/blast were less than the NATO loads, and less than some commercial defense loads. But at the time I did not own a chronograph, so I was not comfortable using the load. For me, 9mm is so cheap to buy, I do not reload it now.

Interesting side note: Accurate's powder manual says "Some high performance handguns (such as Glock and Sig/Sauer) may not cycle properly with the faster powders". So, if I try to load 9mm again, I may try a powder slower than Win231.

Lee

I absolutely hate handloading 9mm.the cases are so small,powder spills are common for me.cant get a small enough mouth for my powder measure.I usually load them by hand,and use a single stage press when making match grade ammo.

but seeing the cost of 9mm is so cheap,its better to buy factory ammo,especially when using a glock.

I just loaded 1,000 rounds of match grade and it took me 2 days.

9mm is a real pain,gonna get a 45 as soon as my bank account allows me to do so.

Alma,

My wife and I both shoot G-34's with Bar-Sto barrels.  We've used 115's, 124, and now 147's.  I agree with Steve 147's are by far the best, most of the folks that shoot 9mms in IDPA locally use 147's if they handload. Actually I found that .357 diameter 9mm 147RN's from West Coast are actually more accurate (in my guns) than the .355 diameter.  Also at the low pf loads the extra diameter doesn't seem to cause pressure problems.  

My load is 3.05 grs. of VV320, a Federal SPM primer, a .357 West Coast Gold 9mm 147 RN, loaded in mixed brass to an OAL of 1.154.  This gives 127.2 pf at 865.5 avg fps and 10 fps SD.  I also have tested 3.1 grs of VV320 all else the same for 128.5 pf at 873.9 avg fps and 10 fps SD.  Tests were conducted at approximately 45 F using a Shooting Chrony F-1 indoor with the indoor lighting set-up

I replaced the 17lbs factory recoil spring with a 13lbs Glockmeister and added a buffer tech recoil buffer.  I use a factory guide rod with the front plug dremeled off to make it non captive for IDPA SSP.  This set-up works in both G-34's.  If I ever start USPSA production class I have a THE Extended Tungsten Guide rod to use instead of the modified factory guide rod.  The recoil spring change solved the Glock not liking low pf loads.

The G-34 is an excellent platform (stock or modified) in my opinion, but like any "off-the shelf" gun there is room for improvement if you decide that is the way you want to go.

Have fun load development can be frustrating or a lot of fun.  Good Luck