Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Polishing up the Sear?

98sr20ve

I compared my G34 to my friends well shoot G35 (the gun that made me choose a Glock over others). His was obviously smoother and lighter then my G34 which is fairly new. I followed the directions on the internet for a .25c trigger job before. All went well and it did help. At the time I did not really pay close attention to what each parts function was. Now that I have the gun for a while I finally understand what really happens when I pull the trigger. I don't remember polishing the contact points of the sear and the firing pin when I did the job. You can see a slight mark on the firing pin (FP) where the sear contacts the FP. I am thinking of stoning the sear and the pin just very lightly and then polishing them both smooth. But it almost looks like the FP contact might not be flat. Even if it's not flat I can always polish it with my buffing wheel/compound. But I thought I would check with you guys first. Any thougths besides "Just shoot more ;)? I do seem to be a tinkerer but I can stop if you guys say it's all a bad idea.

I compared my G34 to my friends well shoot G35 (the gun that made me choose a Glock over others). His was obviously smoother and lighter then my G34 which is fairly new. I followed the directions on the internet for a .25c trigger job before. All went well and it did help. At the time I did not really pay close attention to what each parts function was. Now that I have the gun for a while I finally understand what really happens when I pull the trigger. I don't remember polishing the contact points of the sear and the firing pin when I did the job. You can see a slight mark on the firing pin (FP) where the sear contacts the FP. I am thinking of stoning the sear and the pin just very lightly and then polishing them both smooth. But it almost looks like the FP contact might not be flat. Even if it's not flat I can always polish it with my buffing wheel/compound. But I thought I would check with you guys first. Any thougths besides "Just shoot more ;)? I do seem to be a tinkerer but I can stop if you guys say it's all a bad idea.

I use a thin steel ruler as a straight edge and wrap 600# paper on it and tape it in place for a good polishing tool. You can also use a stone. Best to clamp the piece you are polishing (striker or trigger bar) in a small vise so it doesn't "rock" while you polish as that will round the face. I polished the striker tab's face dead smooth and also the sear tab's face on the trigger bar. Keep the angles the same. Don't use a dremel wheel.

Edited by bountyhunter