Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Help with 650 Case Feeder

I posted this on the end of another thread - but haven't gotten any response.

I have a 650 with the case feeder and I've been having a lot of problems with 45 acp cases finding their way under the plate and jamming up the darn thing. I never had this issue before, but it recently started and seems to be getting worse.

Since I had been reloading 357 mags before, I thought maybe I forgot to remove the washer under the plate, but that wasn't the cause. Even though I cut the amount of shells in the feeder down to less than 50, I still have problems. I also tried taking it apart and giving everything a good cleaning (again) but it didn't make any difference. I even lightened up the clutch but shells still work their way under the feeder. It seems to happen where the large white plastic (or nylon?) piece is mounted to straighten out the shells.

Any suggestions will be most welcome!!!!! :unsure:

Definitely do not use a washer under the case feed plate for 45ACP. The bottom of the feed plate should

almost drag on the surface of the bowl. Adjust the white block further to the right, or counterclockwise.

The purpose of the block is if a case is not down in the notch it should kick it to the bottom of the pile.

I recommend a 1 lb coffee can for a case scoop. Run pistol brass at "Low" speed setting.

I posted this on the end of another thread - but haven't gotten any response.

I have a 650 with the case feeder and I've been having a lot of problems with 45 acp cases finding their way under the plate and jamming up the darn thing. I never had this issue before, but it recently started and seems to be getting worse.

Since I had been reloading 357 mags before, I thought maybe I forgot to remove the washer under the plate, but that wasn't the cause. Even though I cut the amount of shells in the feeder down to less than 50, I still have problems. I also tried taking it apart and giving everything a good cleaning (again) but it didn't make any difference. I even lightened up the clutch but shells still work their way under the feeder. It seems to happen where the large white plastic (or nylon?) piece is mounted to straighten out the shells.

Any suggestions will be most welcome!!!!! :unsure:

Did you change out the gray shell plate when you switched calibers ? I have one shell plate for small cailbers and a differant one for the .45 , etc.. Also, the white plastic piece the is at the top of the case feed tube that goes down to the press is specific to each cailber. I forgot to change from .38 super and had the .45 get caught under the plate untill I put in the correct size white piece. Hope this helps.

• 9 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I bought my 650 and case feeder in the mid-1990s, and it was immediately obvious that the bowl of the case feeder was unnecessarily high. It's adequately high (in my opinion) if two rifle cases will fit into the plastic case feed tube.

As suggested earlier. out came the hack saw, ant the black tube supporting the case feeder bowl was shortened & redrilled; the lowest part of the case feeder bowl is now about 2 inches lower than the top of the primer feed tube. If I were doing it again (and I'm thinking about it), the lowest part of the bowl would be two inches lower than it is now.

Lowering the position of the case feed bowl is entirely independent of the distance the press ram will travel.

Lowering the case feed bowl requires that the case feed tubes be shortened too; I'm not trying to be a smartass, just commenting on the consequences of lowering the bowl.

On a related matter, the case feed tube inner & outer diameters are 'special', made explicitly for Dillon; but it's easy to find standrd tubing inside diameters appropriate for any caliber. If you have the equipment (or a good friend), the outside diameter can be increased by adding short sleeves to the tube, thereby providing promiscuous(!) fits to the Dillon parts at both ends.