Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

"Print Spooler Service is not Running"

This is weird. I've had this laptop (Compaq Presario V2000) for about two years, and bought it as a factory refurb. It's been working fine. The other day I had problems printing, so I uninstalled and re-installed the software, and now the OS can't find a printer to set up. I get an error popup saying "Operation could not be completed. The print spooler service is not running." I tried the MS site for troubleshooting, but it seems I'm missing something.

I'm running XP with all current updates.

Any ideas?

I tried going through the command prompt and going through Start/Computer/Manager to re-start the spooler, and got the same error message both times: "Could not start the print spooler service on local computer. Error 1068: The dependency service or group failed to start." The dependency groups are LexBce Server and Remote Procedure Call. I'm guessing the first one is from the installation software, since it's a Lexmark printer.

I'm going to email Lexmark and see what they say. Based on prior experience, it'll be a couple of weeks before I hear back.

I tried going through the command prompt and going through Start/Computer/Manager to re-start the spooler, and got the same error message both times: "Could not start the print spooler service on local computer. Error 1068: The dependency service or group failed to start." The dependency groups are LexBce Server and Remote Procedure Call. I'm guessing the first one is from the installation software, since it's a Lexmark printer.

I'm going to email Lexmark and see what they say. Based on prior experience, it'll be a couple of weeks before I hear back.

Take a look here Chuck...

http://forums.techguy.org/windows-nt-2000-...ot-working.html

It might be that the uninstall disabled the lex server and then it didn't enable it again under the reinstall. Try and start the Lex service first and set it to auto. Then either reboot, or start the print spooler and see what happens...

JT

Edited by JThompson

Well, Lexmark surprised me and replied quickly...and their solution worked! This is what they said, just FYI:

"Please go to the "Start" menu and go to "Run". In the white bar, delete whatever you see there and type cmd.

Please type Sc*config*spooler*depend=*rpcss (put spaces where the (*)’s are.

When you hit enter you will get this message:

Sc config spooler depend= rpcss [sC] ChangeServiceConfig SUCCESS"