Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

3 gun handgun?

kmca

I've been thinking of trying 3 gun. It looks like I'll try "tactical division" since I can use equipment I already have. I think I've got the rifle and shotgun equipment worked out. The questions I've got are, what pistol can I use? What's the typical round count for a shotgun stage?

If you shoot USPSA ruels 3-gun you'll need a 40 because of the points for C's & D's. If you shoot matches with rules like Superstition Mountain where there's no power factor and 1 "A" or any 2 hits on paper is full engagement then a 9mm Glock is a good choice. In many matches you have to abandon a gun and when you do if its not safe (completely unloaded or loaded w/safety on) you're going home. With a Glock there's no worry about the safety coming off when you leave it, you just drop it and go.

As for shotgun stage round counts, I've shot stages that range from 5 to 28, its all up to the course designer. The key to shooting shotgun stages is don't miss, take the extra time to get the hit because it takes longer to load the damn thing than it does to aim better. That said practice loading your shotgun.

Edited by TMC

I've been thinking of trying 3 gun. It looks like I'll try "tactical division" since I can use equipment I already have. I think I've got the rifle and shotgun equipment worked out. The questions I've got are, what pistol can I use? What's the typical round count for a shotgun stage?

Good question!

Here is the hard part about an answer:

-there are about 6 to 12 different big matches that all call themselves "3gun" or "multigun" and they all have different rules. What a mess!

The facts you need to make a handgun decision are:

-do the rules for all the 3gun/multigun shoots you plan to shoot recognize Major/minor?

-are there magazine capacity or length restrictions?

-are their holster restrictions? - and even if there are NO restrictions, then,

-will the rules require you to (or I should say, the course designs) re-holster a loaded handgun "on the clock"?

All of these factors may matter - depending on who's match/rules you plan to play under.

Regards,

D.

Thanks for the replies.

I'm still confused. I guess what I'm asking is, are the rifles, shotguns, and pistols scored separately, i.e. can I shoot an open pistol, unlimited rifle and tactical shotgun?

They might be scored seperately, but all of your gear has to be from the same division. i.e. if you are shooting an open shotgun, you are in open class even if your other two guns are limited. You get put into the highest division based on all three guns you are shooting. Did that make any sense?? :blink:

Adios,

TG

Okay, I think I've got it....except for one thing. In the 2008 Multi gun rules addendum, Section D, subsection iiia, it says "all handguns will be scored as Limited, Tactical or Open in accordance with currently-defined tournament aggregate divisions". What is a tactical handgun?

Okay, I think I've got it....except for one thing. In the 2008 Multi gun rules addendum, Section D, subsection iiia, it says "all handguns will be scored as Limited, Tactical or Open in accordance with currently-defined tournament aggregate divisions". What is a tactical handgun?
A tactical hand gun is anything that is not a open gun. In other words a limited, production, singlestack or revelover is a tactical hand gun for USPSA multi gun. To answer your first question, in tactical think .40 for USPSA and 9mm for everthing else.-------Larry