Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sizing Die Alignment Issue

Just set up my 550B for 40S&W. EGW Undersize die, Redding competition seating die, Dillon powder and crimp dies.

My problem is when I raise the handle to size and deprime the top of the case hits the bottom of the seating die and I have to manually push back on the top of the case (towards me) to "guide it " into the sizing die. It sizes and deprimes just fine, but is definitely slow.

Any tips ?

Edited by baerburtchell

Does it work with the other calibers you reload?

Make sure you have the correct shell holder plate. I think a #5 is the right one for .40sw.

Try a different die, if you have one. If it works, it may be the die.

Check the spring arm that holds tension on the case, it may be pushing on it the wrong way and tipping the case

You could also change your toolhead. Maybe it is defective and the #1 slot, where the sizing die is located, was cut incorrectly and tipping your die. I doubt it, but it is an idea.

Randy

With the shellplate loaded, I would run the ram all the way up and hold it there. Loosen the lock ring on the sizing die and carefully tighten it again. Also the little spring paperclip might not be adjusted correctly; if you use it, I don't.

With the shellplate loaded, I would run the ram all the way up and hold it there. Loosen the lock ring on the sizing die and carefully tighten it again. Also the little spring paperclip might not be adjusted correctly; if you use it, I don't.

That worked :cheers:

Thanks for the ideas. I guess with the undersize die the adjustment may be a little more critical?? Just guessing, but it's lining up properly now.

Thanks!!